Question on parallel conductors for service

Status
Not open for further replies.

RICHRICH36

Gentlemen, I cant seem to confirm 100% that this installation would fly.

I am wanting to parallel a 800 amp CT service.

Typically I would terminate in a 800 amp outdoor panelboard with a 6 breaker capacity. I would then take 2 or 3 breakers and feed multiple "tenant" panels. The 6 space panelboard would not have a main breaker.

What I am trying to do is parallel through the CT cabinet but terminate each set of conductors at a 400 amp enclosed breaker and each enclosed breaker feed a seperate panelboard in the tenant space.

I have read and re-read 230 but where I guess I am getting tripped up is the gray area of the disconnects being in a "group"

Can anyone offer some insight on this?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Grouped is grouped.... side by side, above and below each other, something so that when you stand back a few feet you can see all the breakers, but I don't know if that matters.

How are you planning on keeping your parallel conductors the same length and landing them on a common buss or set of lugs if you are taking them to individual breakers?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Grouped is grouped.... side by side, above and below each other, something so that when you stand back a few feet you can see all the breakers, but I don't know if that matters.

How are you planning on keeping your parallel conductors the same length and landing them on a common buss or set of lugs if you are taking them to individual breakers?
They aren't parallel if they land on separate pieces of equipment. They are simply multiple sets of service entrance conductors.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
They aren't parallel if they land on separate pieces of equipment. They are simply multiple sets of service entrance conductors.

As I read your post, that's what I see. If you run two conductors on one phase from your service point (POCO wires) thru the CT cabinet to two seperate breakers you are not paralleling the service. You simply have two service conductors each sized for it's termination (400 amp breaker) with derating taken into account if you share a raceway.

Grouping of the two 400 amp service disconencts would be something to keep in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.