Question on GFCI/Neutral Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfb

I have a portable water pump-VFD system that I am trying to operate from a portable generator. The VFD trips the GFCI immediately upon plugging the system in. I believe this occurs because of the capacitors in the VFD. The suggested fixes are either to remove the neutral bond wire on the generator or to rewire the VFD so that the ground wire from the pump goes to neutral. I am looking for advise as to whether one of these solutions is better than the other, or if there is another solution that does not remove the GFCI from the system. The critical issue here is safety. I am not an electrician so go easy.

bob

Re: Question on GFCI/Neutral Bonding

The suggested fixes are either to remove the neutral bond wire on the generator or to rewire the VFD so that the ground wire from the pump goes to neutral.
Absolutely Not. The equipment grounding conductor should be connected to the metal frame of the pump. No connection between the EGC and neutral.
What is the voltage required? Is the neutral being used? The GFI trips because there is current returning in a path other that the neutral
such as the frame of the motor and EGC.

bphgravity

I would suggest that you hire a licensed and insured electrical contractor to assist you with this issue, considering safety is indeed the critical issue.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

What kind of VFD do you have?. I am not aware of any "diode bridge front end" drives that have input capacitors tied to ground.

What amps and voltage are your generator?, VFD?, and motor? Is the VFD plug and cord connected to the generator? Is this a single phase input to the VFD which then feeds a three phase motor?

charlie

This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.