Question about running MC through metal studs.

Conrad540

Occupation
Electrician
My foreman is having us limit the number of MC's we're running in the studs and it has me wondering. Do you have to limit the amount of MC running through a premade bore hole in a Metal stud to avoid derating it? I'm looking at 310.15 c 1 d and I'm thinking Stainless steel is bad at heat dissipation and maybe it'd create a similar issue to the MC having a overall outer jacket.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The question is are they considered bundled. IMO there is enough natural space between the cables that they are not bundled therefore derating does not apply. Others will have a different opinion.

Conrad540

Occupation
Electrician
The question is are they considered bundled. IMO there is enough natural space between the cables that they are not bundled therefore derating does not apply. Others will have a different opinion.
That makes sense. But do you worry about bundling more than 20 of them together or more than 3? I think we're doing it for any spots where we have more than 3 mc runs in the same stud holes.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes 310.15(B)(4) allows up to 20 CCC to be bundled. After 20 CCC's the derated value is 60%
310.15(B)(4) Adjustment factors shall not apply to Type AC cable or to Type MC cable under the following conditions:
a. The cables do not have an overall outer jacket.
b. Each cable has not more than three current-carrying conductors.
c. The conductors are 12 AWG copper.
d. Not more than 20 current-carrying conductors are installed without maintaining spacing, are stacked, or are supported on “bridle rings.”
Exception to(4): If cables meeting the requirements in 310.15(B)(3)(4)a through c with more than 20 current-carrying conductors are installed longer than 600 mm (24 in.) without maintaining spacing, are stacked, or are supported on bridle rings, a 60 percent adjustment factor shall be applied.