PV and Storage in low ceiling height area

Status
Not open for further replies.

solarken

NABCEP PVIP
Occupation
Solar Design and Installation Professional
I have a job to install PV system with battery backup at a new home that is under construction. We use NEC2017 in Ohio. The construction plans were never made available beforehand, but when I visited the site after the first floor was framed, I measured the basement (more of a cellar, I guess) vertical clearance at 68 inches from slab to underside of floor joists, 10 inches short of 6-1/2 feet.
I have not spoken with the AofJ yet, but have spoken to the builder, and the electrician handling the general house wiring. Looking for any suggestions on how to handle the reduced height available. I myself do not undersand why anyone would build a new home with a basement ceiling height 10 inches shorter than code requirements, but it is what it is at this point.
I see an exception to the 6.5ft height for existing dwelling units that permits service equipment not exceeding 200A in spaces with lower ceiling heights, but do not see any allowance for the inverter or energy storage.
There is an attached garage but only small single car, and I can't put the battery in there because of our cold seasonal temps.
Thanks in advance.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Can you dig down?
We've installed a few energy storage systems in basements where the clearance was a couple inches short of 6.5ft (but not 10 inches, that's a lot). Digging down was our backup plan if we got called on it, which we haven't yet.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Wow, how did that happen on new construction?
Most of the homes I do now have at least 8’ ceilings if not almost 9’ before main hvac trunk lines go in.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Is there some reason that you cannot install the Gateway and PV inverter on an outside wall and the ESS in the basement? The ESS itself is not service equipment.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Is there some reason that you cannot install the Gateway and PV inverter on an outside wall and the ESS in the basement? The ESS itself is not service equipment.
It doesn't make a difference. Both Articles 706 and 480 contain requirements that space about equipment comply with 110.26.

pv_n00b

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I think the only option here is you need to install it in that area is talk to the AHJ. You don't want to install everything and then the AHJ says it's not going to be signed off.

solarken

NABCEP PVIP
Occupation
Can you dig down?
We've installed a few energy storage systems in basements where the clearance was a couple inches short of 6.5ft (but not 10 inches, that's a lot). Digging down was our backup plan if we got called on it, which we haven't yet.
No, the slab is poured already

solarken

NABCEP PVIP
Occupation
Wow, how did that happen on new construction?
Most of the homes I do now have at least 8’ ceilings if not almost 9’ before main hvac trunk lines go in.
I think maybe the homeowner did not get enough feedback from anyone during design as to the drawbacks

solarken

NABCEP PVIP
Occupation
I think the only option here is you need to install it in that area is talk to the AHJ. You don't want to install everything and then the AHJ says it's not going to be signed off.
Yep, that is what I ended up doing. I called the AHJ and got a compromise buyin, the inverter will be mounted in the garage along with the main service panel, and the ESS will go into the short basement. Even though as jaggedben pointed out that 100.26 still applies to ESS, the AHJ agreed in principle that the ESS would not likely need to be worked around often after the initial install, and that it is desirable for it to be located in such an isolated area anyway. We got lucky this time.

pv_n00b

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Not directly addressing anything here but I have to say, as the homeowner, I would be concerned about having something that could burst into flame at any moment mounted in the basement of my home. This seems overall like a bad idea. If I get a BESS installed at my home it will be outside away from the house, perhaps integrated into a nice planter.

Status
Not open for further replies.