Pull box bonding required?

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Does a pull box (has no terminations) have to be bonded? Does this meet 250.4(A)4;
that is “likely to become energized”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dale001289

Howe would you bond a non-metallic box?!

You do need to maintain raceway bonding continuity, via EGCs or bonding bushings.

But if the pull box were metal, in my opinion it would still be unlikely to become energized if there’s no terminations

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Howe would you bond a non-metallic box?!

You do need to maintain raceway bonding continuity, via EGCs or bonding bushings.

I should clarify most of the PBs are nonmetallic but a few are sheet metal

But if the pull box were metal, in my opinion it would still be unlikely to become energized if there’s no terminations

I know "likely to become energized" is not defined, but I have a hard time imagining an electrical enclosure is not "likely to be energized" just because it doesn't have splices in it. If you can find one electrical inspector who finds that argument acceptable, I'll buy you a sandwich!

I know "likely to become energized" is not defined, but I have a hard time imagining an electrical enclosure is not "likely to be energized" just because it doesn't have splices in it. If you can find one electrical inspector who finds that argument acceptable, I'll buy you a sandwich!
Just want to also add there are other sections that would require the pull box to be bonded that don't use the phrase " likely to become energized".

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
Where a wire type EGC is used, and splices are made in a metallic box, it must be bonded.

If there is no splice in the box, the EGC is not required to be bonded to the box. But the box must be bonded through the raceway.

Non-conductive materials are not required, nor is it possible, to bond them. But the raceway on both ends need to be.

At least that has been my understanding. With the way the last couple weeks have gone, I’m probably wrong. 😳😮🙄

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Likely to become energized does not play a part here because the box and the raceways are covered by 250.4(A)(3), not 250.4(A)(4).