puck light question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MannyBurgos

General contractor wants under cabinet puck lights wire leads to run in conduit and splice in junction box. These wires are factory wires assembled as part of the pucks. Is there anything in the nec that prohibits this?

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If these are 120 volt puck lights they are designed and listed to be plugged in not hardwired. The factory install cord must be exposed for its entire length, not concealed or run in a raceway.

user 100

GC wants flexible metal conduit ran behind wall to a light switch box. Flex will stick out of wall a few inches and wants to run puck light fixture wire inside this flex to switch box....

I see that curt swartz beat me to it:lol:

Last edited:

MannyBurgos

If these are 120 volt puck lights they are designed and listed to be plugged in not hardwired. The factory install cord must be exposed for its entire length, not concealed or run in a raceway.

Good to know! Thank you. This is the first time i work with this GC and this is what his other electrician does and wants me to do the same on this project. I guess his other electrician has broken a few rules. Good thing i asked first. I will try to sell em some led strip lights. Hide the transformer in pantry closet and run approved 12v wire behind wall to each strip.

user 100

Good to know! Thank you. This is the first time i work with this GC and this is what his other electrician does and wants me to do the same on this project. I guess his other electrician has broken a few rules. Good thing i asked first. I will try to sell em some led strip lights. Hide the transformer in pantry closet and run approved 12v wire behind wall to each strip.

The only way I've seen these puck lights "legally" switched is when they were plugged into a receptacle that was switched. That being said, Imo, puck lights stink-there are simply better uc lighting options.

MannyBurgos

The only way I've seen these puck lights "legally" switched is when they were plugged into a receptacle that was switched. That being said, Imo, puck lights stink-there are simply better uc lighting options.

I don't know how his other electrician got away with this. But then again, we have bozo's for inspectors.

user 100

I don't know how his other electrician got away with this. But then again, we have bozo's for inspectors.

Whats irritating about some inspectors is that they will miss or ignore something blatant, yet they are all over a "technical" violation that they either made up or is of no conceivable consequence.

MannyBurgos

Whats irritating about some inspectors is that they will miss or ignore something blatant, yet they are all over a "technical" violation that they either made up or is of no conceivable consequence.

I honestly forgot to add a smoke detector in the basement of a property today and did not pass my final yet, the same inspector approved this service last week. I got the picture from the property owner.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender1.jpg
    FullSizeRender1.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0

MannyBurgos

It's sloppy, especially the short 100a feeders, but are there any clearcut violations here?

-this is 2011 code cycle
-this is a main breaker. Take a look at the bonding screw.
-GEC is running through metallic conduit which requires ground bushing.
-multi wire branch circuits are not group and do not have common handle ties.
-under this jurisdiction, we have amendments where only copper is accepted. Clearly there are aluminum conductors landed at the main breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.