Pricing a barn

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
The little I've worked in horse barns, I was told to keep everything out of possible reach by horses. Nothing in the stall or close enough to reach over and chew on from the door. We ran PVC overhead and I think we came down with rigid to switch & outlet boxes. Been a LONG time.
That is the rule for any livestock, keep out of reach. Some can reach further than you may think.

Nothing electrical in nature needs to be that close to them other than maybe in working areas where they will be attended while there. Water tank heaters is one the most common exceptions, those you need to just find way to not directly expose what you are supplying with, keep it underground, behind walls, floors, or sleeve it in something pretty rigid, like sch40 steel tubing or heavier.

Occupation
Electrician
Is that in the NEC that Non metallic sheathed cables need to always be visible. MC isn't.
Article 310.8 A states that "All conductors and cables shall be marked to indicate the following information, using the applicable method describing in 310.8(B): 1. The maximum rated voltage. 2. The proper type letter or letters for the type of wire or cable as specified elsewhere in this Code. 3. The manufacturer's name, trademark, or other distinctive marking by which the organization responsible for the product can be readily identified. 4. The AWG size or circular mil area. 5. Cable assemblies where the neutral conductor is smaller than the ungrounded conductors shall be so marked."

Article 310.8B states that "1. Surface Marking. The following conductors and cables shall be durably marked on the surface: 1. Single-conductor and multiconductor thermoset and thermoplastic-insulated wire and cable. 2. Nonmetallic-sheathed cable. 3. Service-entrance cable. 4. Underground feeder and branch-circuit cable. 5. Tray cable. 6. Irrigation cable. 7. Power-limited tray cable. 8. Instrumentation cable."

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Article 310.8 A states that "All conductors and cables shall be marked to indicate the following information, using the applicable method describing in 310.8(B): 1. The maximum rated voltage. 2. The proper type letter or letters for the type of wire or cable as specified elsewhere in this Code. 3. The manufacturer's name, trademark, or other distinctive marking by which the organization responsible for the product can be readily identified. 4. The AWG size or circular mil area. 5. Cable assemblies where the neutral conductor is smaller than the ungrounded conductors shall be so marked."

Article 310.8B states that "1. Surface Marking. The following conductors and cables shall be durably marked on the surface: 1. Single-conductor and multiconductor thermoset and thermoplastic-insulated wire and cable. 2. Nonmetallic-sheathed cable. 3. Service-entrance cable. 4. Underground feeder and branch-circuit cable. 5. Tray cable. 6. Irrigation cable. 7. Power-limited tray cable. 8. Instrumentation cable."
And what about spray foam.

Occupation
Electrician
I'm looking for some input from others on past experiences or knowledge on wiring a barn.
I'm in the middle of pricing out a barn for a customer that will house a couple horses in the future.
They are looking to have some lighting and fans installed in the area. From what I'm gathering through article 547 it seems like PVC or UF cable is the best way to go with all the boxes being weathertight but would like to hear from others what has worked best and has held up over the years.
Article 547.20 states that agricultural buildings "shall be limited to the following: (1) Type UF (2) Type NMC (3) Type SE cable-copper (4) Jacketed Type MC cable (5) Raceways identified for the locations specified in 547.1(A) and (B)."

Have have been comments here about using NM, but nonmetallic-sheathed cable MUST be rated for corrosive environments if it is used. I'm assuming that your original post was referencing Article 547, but I wanted to post to clarify some of the other comments.

Occupation
Electrician
And what about spray foam.
That's a good point. The only exceptions that I've seen pertained to specific cable types, not other installation factors. I would say that it's a separate issue, since wiring would be installed prior to the foam insulation being applied, and the foam is not a component of the electrical installation. I'll also state that - while a pain - foam insulation can be stripped from nonmetallic-sheathed cable without SIGNFICANT issue. I'll look into this further at some point.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
That's a good point. The only exceptions that I've seen pertained to specific cable types, not other installation factors. I would say that it's a separate issue, since wiring would be installed prior to the foam insulation being applied, and the foam is not a component of the electrical installation. I'll also state that - while a pain - foam insulation can be stripped from nonmetallic-sheathed cable without SIGNFICANT issue. I'll look into this further at some point.
I'll add that if SE cable is exposed to the elements I Very Strongly Support Painting it. The old stuff that has no paint will degrade even if rated for sunlight. Add 7mm of paint and you just made it that much more resistant to this.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College

Do the markings only have to survive through the final inspection??

kwired

Electron manager
Old SE has like a quarter inch on paint. I think that's why its not corroded.
Ahhh, painted multiple times and you eventually ended up having 7mm of paint on it.

My wife is always painting walls different color, sometimes not liking what she has and painting again in relatively short time. I always kid her and tell her we are loosing square footage of room space because she is making the walls thicker.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Ahhh, painted multiple times and you eventually ended up having 7mm of paint on it.

My wife is always painting walls different color, sometimes not liking what she has and painting again in relatively short time. I always kid her and tell her we are loosing square footage of room space because she is making the walls thicker.
Teach your wife that if she paints the walls white, she can change color with colored lights! LED strips are now available with color change remotes...

kwired

Electron manager
Teach your wife that if she paints the walls white, she can change color with colored lights! LED strips are now available with color change remotes...
Someday we just may have that be somewhat a common thing, except the walls will be self illuminating, but you will be able to select color basically "on demand".

Status
Not open for further replies.