Prep class for Colorado Master License

Status
Not open for further replies.

tx2step

Does anyone know of a good class that I can take to prepare for the Electrical Master License Exam for the state of Colorado?

I already hold a Masters in Oklahoma and Texas, but haven't taken a test in a while. I'd like to pass the Colorado test the first try, and to know ahead of time about any test quirks -- so a good test prep course seems worthwhile.

Does anyone have some first-hand info or suggestions?

I live in Texas (DFW) but can travel to Colorado as needed to prepare for the exam.

I haven't gotten the test application paperwork yet -- are there any unusual requirements that I should watch for or be aware of?

Thanks for the help! This is my first post, so if I mess it up I apologize in advance.

Randy

izak

Re: Prep class for Colorado Master License

if thier masters test is anything similar to thier 'license renewel exam', you wont need a prep class...

my instructor gave us this 'Colorado State Electrical License Renewel Exam' just the other nite...

it was 20 questions.... he said that Colorado mails them out, and you have 5 WEEKS to complete it and mail it back in...

i finished it in about 20 minutes and got an 80%
i think i looked in the code maybe twice...

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Trust me, the initial exam is tremendously more difficult than the renewal. It is timed, it is difficult, it is not to be taken lightly.

A refresher before the test is not a bad idea.

O

oliver100

Talking about Colorado - It appears that it will be my retirement place in the near future.

I am an Electrical Engineer with PE registration in CO and I am planning to be active for many years to come. Does anyone know if I can establish an electrical contracting business (industrial, residential, automation) and what kind of steps should I take with AHJs?

Thanks

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

You can register with the state as an electrical contractor, but you will need a master electrician to do business. See the Colorado Electrical Board webpage for details.

As far as local AHJ's, there are no local licensing requirements I am aware of.

I found the exact page on there website you need here .

[ March 12, 2005, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

mro

Does anyone know of a good class that I can take to prepare for the Electrical Master License Exam for the state of Colorado?
Yes, Ray Holder would be my first choice, he's based in San Antonio, TX. I enjoyed taking his classes for my licenses. And he travels between Texas, OK, and Colorado: 800-632-7732
www.rayholderelectricalseminars.com)

I don't know if Texas and Colorado have Reciprocating (mispelled??) licensing but
you might want to contact the State of Colorado and ask them: 303-894-2300
http://www.dora.state.co.us/electrical/

I hope this helps.
O'Farrell's Electric LLC
MRO
:D

jonzlab

I didn't take a " prep class', and I passed my Colorado Masters exam the first time. Let me tell you though, it was very tough! I used "Stallcup's Electrical Design" book to get through the calculations and Mike Holt's Electrical Exam Prep book for the code questions. I graduated from the IEC, so that put me a little ahead, but I had to put some serious time in for that test, and I'm glad I did. From what I remember, almost every question had a calculation with it. Anyways, good luck!

tx2step

Jonzlab - is Stallcup's "Electrical Design" book pretty good? I've been told by the local IEC instructors that they don't use it because it has mistakes in it. Did you also get the companion "Instructor's Guide" with it? What's your opinion overall?

Does Mike Holt have an equivalent book?

friebel

Good morning, I have been reading the threads concerning where to go for training for taking the Masters Exam in Colorado.
I find this all very interesting, and I wanted to put this out to the network for anyone who may be interested in attending classes in Delaware.
I teach a NEC class at Delaware Technical Community College, Stanton Campus, Newark, Delaware.
The text book that we are using is Mike Holt's "Electrical Exam Preparation".
So far I have had four students take the Masters Exam in Delaware and they have all passed.
The next exam is coming up in May, 2005, and there will be 6 of my students taking the exam.
I personally find that having a classroom setting for studying for the Masters Exam is very helpful.
As an instructor, each and every class that I have helps to make me a better instructor.
I worked in the industry field for 45 years, so I do have a great deal of hands-on experience, that I am able to pass on.
If anyone is interested in learning more about our class, please send me a private message and I would be glad to discuss this with you.
I do have students from Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

Status
Not open for further replies.