PowerPoint projector

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy32821

Occupation
Automation
Hi Guys,

I need to get a LCD projector to give PowerPoint presentations to classes of about 10.

What have you found the best to be in the under $1000 range?
The smaller the better but something that won?t die in the middle of a class.

What is your typical class size for one and two day classes?

Thanks,

Andy

ryan_618

Re: PowerPoint projector

Originally posted by andy32821:
Hi Guys,

I need to get a LCD projector to give PowerPoint presentations to classes of about 10.

What have you found the best to be in the under $1000 range?
The smaller the better but something that won?t die in the middle of a class.

What is your typical class size for one and two day classes?

Thanks,

Andy
I use an InFocus for my classes. My classes are typically around 75-150 people. I would recommend getting something with 2,000 or so lumens.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Presentations Magazine (free subscription) has an annual project shoot out and review. Check to see what they have available on line.

I spent $2500 for mine as I went really bright, 2500 lumens and wide angle lens. The cost is determined by how much light you need.
Dell has some very nice models out, seems like they have one for $800. I bought a Boxlight as they are local in Seattle area.
Now a spare lamp, belive it or not, cost me $480.
Typical class size? 4 to 50, average 20.

charlie

The lamp for our Sony is really high also. Considering the limited manufacturing runs and the captive audience, it sort of makes sense though. :D

ryan_618

The quality of less than $1,000 projectors is getting much better. You should be able to find you an inexpensive one that will satisfy your needs.

sandsnow

As Ryan said, check the lumens. You need a bright projector if you want to leave the lights on so people can take notes. If you can't get a bright enough projector, see if you can turn off the light fixture(s) directly in front of the screen.

LCD projectors will be the slide projectors of the future now that cameras are going digital.

I have 20 to 25 in my classes.

bphgravity

I recently purchased a Toshiba DLP wireless projector for a really good price at circuit city. Look for high resolution (1024x768), good contrast ratio (2000:1) and high lumens (2200 watt). The wireless feature allows me to keep my laptop more remote from the projector and makes for very quick setup and breakdown.

I considered an LCD projector but found they where not as cost effective as DLP models.

jwelectric

I use an InFocus LP280 and a Gyro mouse for control. When I get to far away from the screen I lose resolution but turning the lights off at the screen helps. I have been using the same bulb for three years, over 500 hours on this bulb. Don?t remember the cost but it was over $1000.

zog

InFocus LP130. I think it is 1100-1200 Lumens and my class size is usually 8-10 people, it works fine for that. You can also get a USB power point remote for about $20 and for speakers, dont shop in the computer speaker area, get a ipod speaker, mine was $40 and sounds great and is about the size of a VHS tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.