Power analyzers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to purchase a power anyalzer/data logger for our facility. As there are numerous makes and models on the market I am looking for suggestions both pro and con. I need to capture events AC, single and three phase, in current and voltage. The analyzer must have user friendly software and datacollection.

megloff11x

We have a Dent and it does OK. We actually use it to measure the power usage of various machines we make. I've also used an oscilloscope with a collection of Fluke HV probes and clamp on current probes.

Don't trust the batteries - plug it in.

One thing to note, don't believe the current probes for low currents. They are not 0-XX amps. When you get below 5-10A, they read poorly. The magnetic field from the current is weak at low current, so you'll get noise, and sometimes the device will force a no reading for low current.

A trick is to make a wire loop of 10 wraps, connect it in series with the power wire, and then clamp on to this loop. The current clamp will now read 10x the current. Thus is you have an 8A load, you'll read 80A, and if it has some idle mode where it draws 1-2, it'll still read 10-20 and you get better resolution.

And be careful to count the number of loops within the jaws. It's easy to get 9 or 11.

The vendor will try and sell you a set of "low current clamps" but a wire loop is cheaper, even with the price of copper going up.

Matt

charlie tuna

i have been in the testing business for fifteen years -- i have used five or six different manufacturer's units from GE rental system. i ended up buying two metrosonic data units. they are now maintained by meggar. they cover every aspect you would need and are very user freindly. i have CT's from 4000 amps down to five amps --- and they are very accurate. the graphs are easily to understand for my customers. i have had problems programing certain manufacturer's units that caused us to re-run the entire test. it is very important to "know" your equipment is monitoring the test data you need when you walk away from it...... and if you ever need the results to go up against the power company -- it must be reputable and certified....

Status
Not open for further replies.