Pool water bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Annett

Occupation
Retired ( 2020 ) City Electrical inspector
I have a problem and need some advice. A friend of mine had an in-ground pool installed. The pool is fiberglass. The pool water is not in contact with any metal components The pool people did the bonding. They bonded everything as per the NEC but did not do the bonding of the water.

The home owner just sees a nice-looking pool with a concrete walkway around the pool. I see an installation that does not meet the NEC and could endangers the people who uses the pool which include his 2 small children.

Any suggestions of how he could bond the water would be appreciated. You cannot get to the skimmer. My idea would be to dig down into the soil, as close to the pool as possible and locate the PVC pipes that goes to the pool filter. Cut the pipe and install a section of copper pipe which would have at least 9 square inches exposed to the water. Then install a water pipe clamp listed for direct burial, run a solid copper # 8 or #6 and connect it the bonding conductor that goes to the pump. Also let me know what you think of my idea.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
They make a bonding fitting that goes in-line with the plumbing. It's a 2" (or whatever size the pool plumbing is) "Tee" that has a bonding lug on the outside and brass inside the Tee that is in contact with the water.

Bill Annett

Occupation
Retired ( 2020 ) City Electrical inspector
There are no lights or handrails. Everything that the NEC requires to be bonded is bonded except the water. I want to thank everyone who helped me. Every bit of new knowledge is helpful. Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There are lots of options for water bond. Usually the pool company installs it.

compact-anode-feature-2016.png

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
Make sure that if you install a tee or metal pipe that it is below normal water level. If you install it above water level the pool water will only be bonded when the pump is running.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Make sure that if you install a tee or metal pipe that it is below normal water level. If you install it above water level the pool water will only be bonded when the pump is running.
Just having the tee or pipe surface below the normal water level is not necessarily sufficient if the piping between them and the pool rises above the normal water level. Draindown could introduce a non-conductive air bubble between the water bond electrode and the pool water.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
Just having the tee or pipe surface below the normal water level is not necessarily sufficient if the piping between them and the pool rises above the normal water level. Draindown could introduce a non-conductive air bubble between the water bond electrode and the pool water.

There's a thread somewhere on this forum that I know I had responded to, that mentioned and discussed water bonding and the location of the water bond fitting.
The instructions for the model of the one I use, wants it below the normal water level. Even suggested in an irrigation access box.

Pools sometimes leak and certainly could drop below the location of the fitting. Folks in my industry even talked about putting in the bottom drain to ensure continuous water bonding. But it's not practical to install and or replace. Some pools do not have a bottom drain. Also, the fitting is brass and most pool owners do not maintain water chemistry and eventually this fitting will corrode deeming it useless. The #8 wire attached to it will go faster no matter what sealant applied to it.

To maintain water level, homeowners must be diligent on keeping it full or add an automatic fill device.

kwired

Electron manager
To maintain water level, homeowners must be diligent on keeping it full or add an automatic fill device.
I never owned or maintained a pool, but would think there is a point that most would realize maybe more water needs added.

But maybe there are some out there that wade around in what it supposed to be 4 feet deep and is only up to their knees and wonder what is wrong?

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
I never owned or maintained a pool, but would think there is a point that most would realize maybe more water needs added.

But maybe there are some out there that wade around in what it supposed to be 4 feet deep and is only up to their knees and wonder what is wrong?
You'd be surprised at my clientele I've had over the years. Educated people, but they hardly notice things like that.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Besides following the manufacturer instructions for a particular fitting what does the NEC actually require?

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
Besides following the manufacturer instructions for a particular fitting what does the NEC actually require?

Found this quick excerpt on line dated for 2014

680.26(C) Pool Water. Where none of the bonded parts is in direct connection with the pool water, the pool water shall be in direct contact with an approved corrosion-resistant conductive surface that exposes not less than 5800 mm2 (9 in.2) of surface area to the pool water at all times. The conductive surface shall be located where it is not exposed to physical damage or dislodgement during usual pool activities, and it shall be bonded in accordance with 680.26(B).

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
Spotted this while researching water bond.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Found this quick excerpt on line dated for 2014

680.26(C) Pool Water. Where none of the bonded parts is in direct connection with the pool water, the pool water shall be in direct contact with an approved corrosion-resistant conductive surface that exposes not less than 5800 mm2 (9 in.2) of surface area to the pool water at all times. The conductive surface shall be located where it is not exposed to physical damage or dislodgement during usual pool activities, and it shall be bonded in accordance with 680.26(B).
In reading that section I see no reason why a metal fitting couldn't be installed at the pump.

kwired

Electron manager
In reading that section I see no reason why a metal fitting couldn't be installed at the pump.
Unless maybe there is times that there isn't going to be pool water present at that location. That is probably rare in most installations though. I would think excessively low pool water level wouldn't be a condition you would need to be concerned about either.

Status
Not open for further replies.