Pool Pumps and GFCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.

reynoldsk

I have really quick question that I am sure someone can help me with.

According to the NEC is it legitimate to have the 20 Amp pool convenience GFCI protect the twist lock receptacle for the pool pump, or must they be two separate circuits? If it is legitimate what size pool pump motor is this acceptable for?

Thank you in advance.

ryan_618

Re: Pool Pumps and GFCI's

I can't see anything that prohibits it.

Since you are discussing the convienance receptacle, I assume you are refering to a dwelling unit.

Looking at table 430.148, it looks the largest motor that could be shared on a 20 amp circuit would be a 1/2HP motor.

j7david

the wording of 210.23 (a)(2)is rather strange the title says "utilization equipment fastened in place." but the wording in the text says "cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment not fastened in place" Does this mean that if it is not fastened in place but will be used at this location it can not exceed 50% on the circuits rating, but if it is fastened in place it may exceed 50%. Some how I don't think so but the wording sure is funny.

reynoldsk

jzDavid, that also is what confused me.

I would like to consider the pool pump not fastened in place, in can be unplugged and brought into the house. If that is the case I could plug a 1 HP motor into the twistlock and have the GFCI protect it.

If it gets knocked down I will unbolt the pool pump and reapply for an inspection :)

ryan_618

If you fasten something in place and the circuit ALSO serves things that are not fastened in place, the equipment fastened in place cannot exceed 50% of the circuit rating (breaker size).

Status
Not open for further replies.