Pool pump motors

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I was reading about pool pump motor circuits @ http://www.homewiringandmore.com . "If a receptacle serving a pool pump motor is installed, then you must install GFI protection either in the form of a breaker or a dead front non-receptacle style GFI protective device. NEC Article 680.22.A.5 and NEC Article 210.21.A. No duplex GFI receptacles may serve a pool pump motor due to the 50% load of a branch circuit being exceeded after the 125% is added to the motor full load current rating per NEC requiremnets. NEC Article 210.22.A.5" The start of the website states everything is according to the 2002 NEC. Well 210.22.A.5 isnt even in the code book and 210.21.A talks about lampholders. Is the author applying 210.23(A)(2)? If so I dont see how the 50% rule applies to a pool pump motor. The pool pump motor he used as an example is 120V, 1/2 h.p., 9 amp F.L.C. I see pool pump motors on a GFCI receptacle all the time. Is the author correct when he says this is a code violation? Thank-you. Brian.

bphgravity

Re: Pool pump motors

Be very careful when receiving electrical information from websites, including this one.

I read the section on pools as provided by your link. The author does have some code reference errors as you have states.

Article 680.21(A)(5) clearly allows pool pump motors to be cord-and-plug connected. Article 680.22(5) even states, "Receptacles that supply pool pump motors..." A pool pump motor that is not portable will be considered fastened in place. So, 210.23(A)(2) limits the load of the motor to 50% if other loads are going to be connected to the same sicrcuit like the pool light. However, if the pool pump is on a dedicated circuit, it may be up to 80% of the circuit ampacity. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.