Pool pump motor OCP

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Hello. Since the new requirement for pool pump motors of having to upgrade to GFCI protection when a pool pump motor is replaced, I've had a handful of these calls to upgrade the OCP.

I fully understand the GFCI requirement.

When looking at the 230 volts max amps it would read that the max amps would be 9.5 amps.

15 (amps) x .80 = 12 (amps).
This means that 9.5 amps is well under the 80% max nominal load. This means that a 15 amp OCPD device would be good in this application.

Every motor that I've encountered so far has (as per the specification sticker and electrical code) not required over a 15 amp double pole OCPD. Why does everyone that I encounter have a 20 amp OCPD?

Am I missing something?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Likely the pump has overload protection so your overcurrent (GFSC) protection can be selected for 430.52 which would allow for 2.5 X the Table FLA.

The 20 amp would be more suited to address start-up current.

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Likely the pump has overload protection so your overcurrent (GFSC) protection can be selected for 430.52 which would allow for 2.5 X the Table FLA.

The one I'm referring to now is a US motors ASB 2983. It's a two speed. High speed max current is 9.2 amps. I never considered startup current. I just saw where I read 9.2 amps and went from there.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The one I'm referring to now is a US motors ASB 2983. It's a two speed. High speed max current is 9.2 amps. I never considered startup current. I just saw where I read 9.2 amps and went from there.
Motor circuits are a special case. If you size the breaker too closely, you can suffer nuisance tripping. That’s why the NEC rules in 430 are different from other rules elsewhere.

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Motor circuits are a special case. If you size the breaker too closely, you can suffer nuisance tripping. That’s why the NEC rules in 430 are different from other rules elsewhere.
I wouldn't think that a 15 amp breaker with nuisance trip for a motor that has a max current of 9.2 amps. That means The startup current would have to be over 6 amps. That seems like a lot.

Based on what I'm seeing lately because of this new code, a lot of these newer pump motors are more efficient. I mean a 1.5 HP motor 230 volts drawing a max of 5.7 amps on each leg.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Starting current is generally considered to be 600% of the motor FLA. so 55A. Some brands of breakers have the mag trips set at the factory at 400%, so no a 15A breaker might trip at 60A, but there is a large +- range around those values.

Captorofsin1

Occupation
Electrical contractor

Up to 250% of max current?