Pool Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

satcom

What is the requirement, if any for protection of the pool bonding wire, and min. depth below grade.

satcom

Re: Pool Bonding

Dave,

We have to repair damage to bond wire that was about 6" below grade, the yard gang dug up everything around the pool, including the bond wire, cut and nicked in six places, we would like to give it some protection after we replace it, now the job of finding approved connectors for 8 solid for DB.

hurk27

satcom
What I have been taught is when the NEC requires that a wire or cable to be "protected Against Physical Damage" this is only when in the normal installation and the normal activity's in the area of the cable or wire could present possible damage to the wire or cable then it should be protected. Landscaping is not a normal activity that I think would be carried out in the pool area. At least I would think not. Unless this home owner likes allot of changes? :roll:
If this was the case, Where would we be able to use UF cable? If we couldn't install it underground without fear of landscapers damaging it why use it if it was required to be protected?

G

On this forum I learned that NM can be run exposed even when within reach. Because of the "Where subject to physical damage, conductors shall be adequately protected" NEC verbiage, and because of the first Electrical Inspector I ran up against I was admonished and thereafter believed that any NM within 7' of finish grade was subject to physical damage and had to be protected (covered). It was explained that protection could amount to wood; drywall; sheet metal; etc. The inspector basically stated that any NM within reach had to be protected. It made enough sense and I did not have a huge forum of peers to show me the correct interpretation. I did have a circle of Journeyman and we had weekly code meetings-- we were rabid students of the NEC-- but this particular section never got corrected for me until this forum. There was an extended gap between those weekly code meetings and the beginning of my participation in this forum. This forum has allowed me to take it to the next level and become a better student and steward of the 2002 NEC.

Turns out that even if run supersurface to the floor NM may not be subject to physical damage and does not require special protection. The mere fact that NM is exposed does mandate protection.

The verbiage of the NEC can be unclear and if an AHJ interprets it wrong and it makes sense it's hard to buck that interpretation. It can dog you for years. With enough replies this forum will usually find the "right" answer. There are still a lot of overlapping ideas on the concept and benefits of grounding here. Grounding threads rarely end in a definitive answer.

I know I've strayed a bit here and I'll leave it to the OP to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Status
Not open for further replies.