pole mount outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

rusty1

I have a 240 volt 1 phase site lighting circuits that feeds 240volt to pole. This cicuit is a 240 volt 2 pole GFCI breaker.
If I install two fuses at the pole can I tap off this 240 volt source and adding a neutral from the same panel as the feed install a 120 volt GFCI outlet on this pole by tapping off one of the two fuses at the pole that feeds the 240 volt fixtures??

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: pole mount outlet

On behalf of the Moderators, I had moved this question to the ?Relocation Forum.? I did this in order to allow the Moderators an opportunity to review the question, and to exchange messages with the original poster, rusty1. I am moving it back to the NEC topic, with sincere apologies to rusty1 for the inconvenience and the delay in soliciting responses to the question.

[ April 12, 2004, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: charlie b ]

rusty1

The Project was designed by others with the idea of savings from having to pull another phase conductor.

websparky

Let me see, if pulling a white wire in and then at the same time pulling in a red wire....... I guess I don't see the $$ being a big issue here...
must be me!

iwire

Staff member

First I agree with Tom & Dave.

But if you must I think you can if you want to using Exception No. 2 of 210.4(C)

210.4(C) Line-to-Neutral Loads. Multiwire branch circuits shall supply only line-to-neutral loads.

Exception No. 1: A multiwire branch circuit that supplies only one utilization equipment.

Exception No. 2: Where all ungrounded conductors of the multiwire branch circuit are opened simultaneously by the branch-circuit overcurrent device.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

This cicuit is a 240 volt 2 pole GFCI breaker.
If I install two fuses ... can I tap off this 240 volt source and adding a neutral from the same panel as the feed install a 120 volt GFCI outlet?

I may be wrong but won't the 2 pole GFCI breaker trip when it sees an unbalanced load caused by the receptacle on one phase to neutral?

-Hal

[ April 12, 2004, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: hbiss ]

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

quote by Hal
I may be wrong but won't the 2 pole GFCI breaker trip when it sees an unbalanced load caused by the receptacle on one phase to neutral?
I believe if he connects the neutral to the GFI breaker, it will compensate for the unbalance.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Current unbalance between the individual hot lines and neutral is not a concern.

A GFCI device only looks at the total current flowing out of the device and the total current returning to the device. If not enough comes back (caused by a ground fault or a non-connected neutral) the GFCI trips. If too much comes back (caused by a shared neutral) the GFCI also trips.

rusty1

This is an Engineered project and I agree that a extra wire for the outlet would be a better design.. The Engineer thinks he is saving dollars and I am trying to find a CODE reason he CAN NOT install the way he has designed!

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

What size gfci breaker is it ????? That would make a difference in determining whats code compliant.Hal the breaker would not trip if it is tapped off the 240 circuit but add a 120v circuit in there you would need an isolated neutral for that circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.