Pole base anchor bolts

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
What does that mean? For a moderator on a site dedicated to the nec and electrical contracting, you seem to be anti- academic...
I don't know what you mean by anti-academic. We were talking about light pole bases and you said it's the job of the concrete guys to pour them and I said it's different for me. I would go as far as to say that most guys that work on jobs with pole lights pour their own bases.
If you work for a company that bores, builds cages, sets proper grade/finished height and pours 500 light poles all the power to you.
Or, you are not thinking things through tonight!
Its ok, dave...ill work with ya.

Hard hats and tool boxes are sorta necessary..
I think the big job guys call them gang boxes.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
Just talk to the GC.

Im on both sides of this, as a GC and an EC, but on much smaller jobs 😳😂

Usually, when I’m GC on a project, and there is some specialized component that one of my subs is handling, they naturally want to be involved with it, and I don’t want the liability or hassle of digging into specs on one of the specialty trades. Thats what I hire them for.

And that’s what a good GC does, is coordinate all the minute details to make life easier for the subs, and move the project along. Too many GCs out there think their job is to yell, talk on the phone, and look important in a hard hat. 😡

This is why on most projects I wants all subs to do a walk through with me, preferably on the same day, and we work out all the details.

It sounds like the GC wants the EC to set their own anchors, coordinated with the concrete guys settings forms and rebar and pouring the bases.

RFI. 👍

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Chiming in here..

As a utility we also do a lot of light bases.
Big jobs we get our foundation/concrete contractor to do them. Smaller jobs, say under 8-10 bases, our crew does them.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
I never used the jig templates. They look nice. I've always made my own from plywood using the pole submittals. I've set a lot of sonotube for light poles. I prefer to do them myself so I know that enough thread will be sticking out and I can grease and tape the threads. Another good trick is once you know the diameter of hole that they will auger, you stop you conduit a couple inches shy of that and backfill with sand on the top and bottom of the conduit. After the hole is augered, you see a little white dot down there. it's real easy to scoop out and attach your 90 to the end of the conduit.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Wait till you get to the big jobs. Your world doesnt concern others reality....
We almost always poured the pole bases on our projects. It was just another scope to bring in-house and make money on to help offset the cost of the equipment that was useful in other areas of the job. The skid steer was very useful for backfilling trenches and all that was needed to add the pole base scope was an auger attachment. It also meant that I didn’t have to wait on someone else to come pour bases for me to complete the site work.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
We almost always poured the pole bases on our projects. It was just another scope to bring in-house and make money on to help offset the cost of the equipment that was useful in other areas of the job. The skid steer was very useful for backfilling trenches and all that was needed to add the pole base scope was an auger attachment. It also meant that I didn’t have to wait on someone else to come pour bases for me to complete the site work.
Are we talking 15/20' bases? Never have i had to pour the bases im talking about.
What diameter? Like i said, if it works for some then hats off... that just wouldnt seem worth it. Are talking just a couple of small poles here?! Helo me with some info. We do have a backhoe but the ditch witch does the trench and back fill, works for me...