Polaris booster pump questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlennG

I am doing a new installation of an in ground pool. Originally the pool guy told me it was only going to be a pump and 2 lights, so i decided to use a 4 circuit pool panel. Now i showed up the other day and in addition he also has a polaris booster pump for the vac system which puts me in a jamb as far as space is concerned in the panel. I have never wired one of these before, so my questions are how are most of you hooking these up? The install instructions recommend either a time clock or a switch. What are most of you doing to control it? Im trying to weigh all of the options to see if i can keep the 4 circuit panel (already in place) or if i should scrap that for the next size pool panel that is equipped with 2 time clocks and more spots. I prefer to run all motors at 220v. Thanks for any input

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
Mahbe use a definite purpose contactor? Then you can use any signal source to control the pump.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
A 4 slot panel would be the minimum for a pool (double pole for pumps, one for lights, one for general receptacles). Can the normal circulation pump and the booster pump fit on a single 240V 20A circuit (add motor nameplates or use the HP tables values, and add 25% of the larger motor to this sum. If it is 20A or less, it will fit). Using the circulation pump circuit will also save the cost of another double pole GFCI breaker.

Vacuums are usually a manual process. I'd verify with the pool installer, but if so it just needs a switch to kick it on while the pool is vacuumed. It may need to be on the clocked pump portion of the circuit too if both pumps are needed for the vacuum to work well. If it is separate, then just tap off the circuit before the time clock and send that to the booster pump switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.