Point of interconnection Disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMTERRY

I have a system of roughly 1 meg. I have 4 AC combiner panels. Would I be allowed to have 4 separate 400 Amp Disconnects, grouped in one location (adjacent to main service), tapped between the Meter Section and main breaker Section, of the Main distribution? With this providing the "visibly open" requirement of the utility?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
As far as the NEC is concerned, yes, as long as you do not exceed a total of six disconnects for the service at that location. There have been some involved arguments in this forum as to whether a PV disconnect is a service disconnect. But to be conservative, assume it is a service disconnect and you can't exceed six handles.

As far as the 'visibly open' requirement of the utility, only the utility can tell you if you are meeting their requirement. At this size of a connection you probably ought to spend some time developing your relationship with their interconnection department, if you haven't already.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
So the question is whether you only have to be able to see the handle versus seeing the contacts themselves?

The utilities in this area require visible contacts.

External Disconnect Switch: For Listed inverters, the Company may require an
external disconnect switch (or comparable device by mutual agreement of the
Parties) at the PCC with the Company or at another mutually agreeable point that
is accessible to Company personnel at all times and that can be opened for
isolation if the switch is required. The switch shall be gang operated, have a
visible break when open, be rated to interrupt the maximum generator output and
be capable of being locked open, tagged and grounded on the Company side by
Company personnel. The visible break requirement can be met by opening the
enclosure to observe the contact separation. The Company shall have the right to
open this disconnect switch in accordance with this Interconnection Tariff.

Top of page 58 of this document http://www.nstaronline.com/docs3/tariffs/162.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.