PLC certification, worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfont1120

Occupation
Electrical Project Manager/Journeyman Electrician
As a new maintenance electrician, I'm dealing with a whole new field of electrical work. Although I'm catching on really quick, I'm considering getting an online PLC certification. Besides it helping with my job, my company will pay for it so I think i'd be foolish not to. Does anyone have any suggestions on schools (i'm leaning towards George Brown) and how much more valuable it makes you to employers??

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It generally will not hurt you any to have certs. If nothing else it can be used to get past the hr department that does not know how meaningless they often are.

If your company is willing to pay for it would appear they think it is a good idea and it could well make you more valuable to them, at least to their way of looking at it.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
It generally will not hurt you any to have certs. If nothing else it can be used to get past the hr department that does not know how meaningless they often are.

If your company is willing to pay for it would appear they think it is a good idea and it could well make you more valuable to them, at least to their way of looking at it.
Personal satisfaction alone would make it worth while. Someone else footing the bill.:thumbsup:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I would go for the certification, but you need hands on with a PLC.
The most popular PLC is AB and the latest platform is control logix, or RSLogix 5000
But there is still a lot of the old equipment around.

Status
Not open for further replies.