Plasma TV Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnC0310

Hello fellow wirenuts

I have been contacted by a friend to install his plasma screen, electrical and cable hookup that is. He mentioned that the store that he is purchasing the unit from is recommending a surge suppressor for installation. The surge supp. costs as additional $300.00. My friend is asking if it is needed. Any ideas? I have not run into this yet.

active1

Re: Plasma TV Install

Sounds like the store is tring to add to the proffit. Kinda like when you buy a new car. Then they want to sell you rust proffing, fabric gaurd, alarm, and $100 floor mats. All that for only another $20 a month (72 months).

Your the spark. You could sell him a panel or outlet surge protector.

Tom

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

I absolutely agree that there should be power line and input signal surge protection. The problem I have is that I have never seen this cost $300. There is a lot of junk out there and with that taken into consideration I can't see a quality unit costing more than $100.

What exactly is the salesman trying to sell him? See if you can get some info as to manufacturer and model and I'll see if there is something on it out there.

I would never be one to tell a salesman that I can get it cheaper on the internet (I hate it when a customer does that to me) but this sounds a little over the top.

-Hal

bigjohn67

These types of units not only provide surge protection but also provide power stabilization.

If you ever have lines in the picture of your big screen, add one of these and it improves picture quality.

Most also provide an equipment protection warranty. I would suggest you do some research before jumping to the conclusion that the salesman is only out to sell you something.

hbiss

Occupation
EC

These types of units not only provide surge protection but also provide power stabilization.

The original question did say "surge suppressor". That's why I asked for specific information on what was being provided for $300- so we aren't talking apples and oranges.

I would have to say that not every installation would benefit from power stabilization. One wonders why we got away without them for all these years then all of a sudden need them now with these sets. They aren't that different.

Quality $90 surge suppressors from Trip-Lite and Panamax come with a multi- thousand dollar protected equipment warranty. Wonder if anybody ever collected...

-Hal

[ March 29, 2005, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: hbiss ]

hbiss

Occupation
EC

Looks like $300 gets you a load of BS- reduces disturbances such as image streaking, video snow, and audio hum

$1299 gets you that plus power conditioning which won't do much more in most cases.

-Hal

bigjohn67

I agree about the humbug. But I've seen a $300.00 unit in action.
But the $1200.00 models brings a bigger question- Are we all in the wrong business? We all hope for a 10% profit on most jobs, haha can these bring just as much with little effort? Anyone know of anyone who produced INFORmercials? HM... I wonder if Don Lepre is available?

highkvoltage

John Pass and Seymor has a TVSS outlet that I use for these type of installations. They work great and are only $20 to $25.Cat #5252-ISP.

jeff43222

I got a quote at the supply house today for a whole-house Wiremold TVSS for $223 (contractor price). I'd say $300 just for the plasma TV sounds a little high.

Incidentally, I have a new client who is looking to have me install such a device, and he mentioned to me that he works at Best Buy corporate. He told me the markup on stuff like that is huge, along the lines of 1000%.

[ April 01, 2005, 02:18 AM: Message edited by: jeff43222 ]

JohnC0310

Thanks guys, I am still waiting for some info from my friend. I have not performed an installation for this type of application before. That is why I posted the message. I am going to wait for the info from my friend. I will pass along the results

mhulbert

Go for the whole house surge protector. I have put a few in, they are the way to go. Protect every thing in the house. I also put in a Leviton TVSS outlet if they have high dollar equipment (Plasmas, computers, things that have had problems in the past). This also protects against any transients that are generated by household equipment (rare but possible).

The only thing is that it's hard to _prove_ that it's working. I want to put in one that has a surge counter sometime, however this seems to add about $300 to the price of the unit

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Is there a whole house TVSS that will protect from the effects of open neutral?

It would probably be cheaper to use the strips. They will protect from open neutral.

On the TVSS outlet: What if they move their entertainment system? Not such a problem if there's only one place in the room for it, but... :D

[ April 04, 2005, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

dereckbc

Staff member

Geogre, I do not know that a TVSS would do anything for an open neutral condition. TVSS units cannot protect for over voltage conditions, only transients (extremely short durations).

The best rating you can get on a TVSS unit is a UL SVR rating of 330 volts, well above 240.

Status
Not open for further replies.