Performance Testing

Danielt

Occupation
Master Electrician
How are people dealing with 240.87C, Arc-reduction performance testing after installation? Are the manufacturers doing it, or third-party contractors? It seems like a significant new cost to contractors.
Virginia is now moving into the 2020 Code

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
How are people dealing with 240.87C, Arc-reduction performance testing after installation? Are the manufacturers doing it, or third-party contractors? It seems like a significant new cost to contractors.
Virginia is now moving into the 2020 Code
This is similar to breaker and relay testing already offered by manufacturer's service divisions and independent testing companies.

Danielt

Occupation
Master Electrician
I did not realize manufacturer's service divisions regularly test equipment. I've only seen them called in for unusual circumstance, like water or other damage, to test and recertify equipment. Do they charge for this? It can't be easy to test an arc-reduction method, when the change is in milliseconds.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I did not realize manufacturer's service divisions regularly test equipment. I've only seen them called in for unusual circumstance, like water or other damage, to test and recertify equipment. Do they charge for this? It can't be easy to test an arc-reduction method, when the change is in milliseconds.
Yes, manufacturers compete with local testing companies and often work on other manufacturers equipment, especially if it is old.

The breaker and relay test equipment can easily measure cycles and milliseconds.

Danielt

Occupation
Master Electrician
I think there will be much more competition as contractors find out they can't get a final until this new testing is done.
Thanks for the info.