pay difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernboys

Hey guys Ive done both residential, commercoal, and condo side of trade. I am starting to realize that the most fun I have had is working on condos and houses. My concern is how big of a price difference from being a good commercial elec to being a good resi elec. How many of you guys are resi and do you feel you can make a comfortable living. Not so much as an ec but as a electrician. Also while in my area the condos are springing up all over whats it like in other areas of the US. Thanks in advance

Jhr

Re: pay difference

Dallas, Texas and this is just an estimate, around $3.00 to $4.00 difference from residential to commercial journeyman, but if you get to commercial electrical superintendent it could be more.

hardworkingstiff

Two things:

1) If you ever want to have your own business, you need to know commercial. The more specialized the better.

2) You don't want to be 50 years old and wiring a house (it's a young mans game).

larryl

i see your from the south,,i went down to fort Meyers Florida last sept.from the north east,and got a job with a large established company, and the pay rate there was a "PITTAFULL 17 AN HOUR"
"not a typo" THATS RITE I SAID 17,"AND YES IM IN CAPS ,BECAUSE IM YELLING," sorry for that outburst.
i could'nt believe it,and i know what your all thinking,,"but it's cheaper to live down there"
hate to tell ya,but it's not all that cheap,
gas is more,food is the same,booze is a little less,allthough cigs are cheaper,
"IT'S NOT 50% LESS!",(sorry for yelling again)and thats about the diffrence in the rate,,
one sunday morning i saw 32 adds in the classified section,looking for electricians,
gee i wonder why?
when they raise the rate maybe they will get some men that will respond,to there adds,,
so whatever,
as long as you enjoy doing houses and condo's you should stay with that,that's what i think,stick with what you enjoy,lifes to short to do something you dont want to do,
well guys thanks for reading,and so sorry for the yelling,but i cant get over it,
whats up with the rate down?

celtic

Originally posted by hardworkingstiff:
It's called the free market system. You are free to work, or not.

You are also free to leave.
umm, no...we have that same concept up north (specifically, NJ).

It's called "work at will". You can get hired at any time and fired at any time for no reason.

What he is asking is: Why is the rate so low down south when the actual cost of living is not that much different than up north?

hardworkingstiff

Originally posted by celtic:

umm, no...we have that same concept up north (specifically, NJ).

It's called "work at will". You can get hired at any time and fired at any time for no reason.

What he is asking is: Why is the rate so low down south when the actual cost of living is not that much different than up north?
Thanks for the clarification. I think the answer to that question is a little involved for this board.

mdshunk

I think the answer to that question is a little involved for this board.
Are we saying that there are special labor market influences north of the Mason-Dixon that drive up wages?

hardworkingstiff

Originally posted by mdshunk:

Are we saying that there are special labor market influences north of the Mason-Dixon that drive up wages?
That would be one (there are more) of the contributors.

I think general education may be another.

Believe it or not, the lack of air conditioning years ago may be another.

Population density with duration may be another.

[ July 20, 2005, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: hardworkingstiff ]

celtic

I think general education may be another.

Believe it or not, the lack of air conditioning years ago may be another.

Population density with duration may be another.
That's stepping very close to a line in the sand !

Although I am a Yankee, I have been south quite a few times...not everyone was dumb as a stump or sweating profusely. The campus of FSU is full of reasonably intelligent people that enjoy air conditioned classrooms - (unless it's a Thursday night at "The Phirst") :D

...maybe it's the water?

macmikeman

2) You don't want to be 50 years old and wiring a house (it's a young mans game).
Hey, no fair. I am 50 and still wiring houses. Its all I really like to do. I used to run boatloads of pipe, but house wiring is much more relaxed and I have to admit where I live I get million dollar scenery every single day while at the job, the weather is allmost always balmy, and shorts are the uniform.

macmikeman

Larryl, Its good to see that sparky's in Fort Myers are now getting 17/hr. Back in 77 most of em were lucky to get 5.50 /hr. I bet you can still smell my tire tracks as I burned rubber to get away from there.

hardworkingstiff

Sorry mac,

No offense meant. I'm 52.5 and have a difficult time competing in the residential market. I'm a one man show that uses temp help when needed. Sounds like you may be in the custom home market, and that (I believe) may be a little different. A little more specialized. You get paid more for your knowledge vs spec houses or condos where speed is king.

celtic

I tend to do that, actually often I cross it. I don't mean to offend anyone, just analyze the situation.
I am not fishing for an apology or asking you to tone it down...I just thought "wow...someones not happy today".
No harm, no foul in my book :)

Status
Not open for further replies.