Part of the problem

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
A Flaker system is supposed to send texts and/or emails. I know their internet is down when I don't see any of those sent.
Yesterday and this morning shows it isn't working. I and two others reset all the modems, routers etc, yesterday. Internet tech says their radio was working and when they showed up of course it was. I did get one batch of data yesterday then nothing.

I know nothing about their equipment so by default I am part of the problem.
Could this termination also be part of it?
IMG_20220321_095522167_HDR.jpg

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
Twisted pairs are supposed to have their twists maintained right up to the termination points. A friend who didn't know better tried to make up jacks for VOIP phones, and they didn't work either, so he called me.

Before and after pics I took to send him:

View attachment 2559947 View attachment 2559948
Very pretty terminations.

You can come do mine.

I'm lazy.

kwired

Electron manager
Twisted pairs are supposed to have their twists maintained right up to the termination points. A friend who didn't know better tried to make up jacks for VOIP phones, and they didn't work either, so he called me.

Before and after pics I took to send him:

View attachment 2559947 View attachment 2559948
That is what is preferred for best performance, but the original likely didn't work for other reasons, like conductor(s) on wrong terminals or poor connection(s) for some reason.

tallgirl

Occupation
That is what is preferred for best performance, but the original likely didn't work for other reasons, like conductor(s) on wrong terminals or poor connection(s) for some reason.
Possibly. My experience is that people who don't know the twist has to be maintained as close to the termination as possible also tend not to know the pairs have to be matched up correctly.

However, it apparently did work once upon a time, so just plain bad termination that eventually came loose would seem most likely.

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
The bend radius looks tight and as you say a termination could have come loose. And the RJ45 on the right is shielded cable yet the one on the left is not.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
However, it apparently did work once upon a time, so just plain bad termination that eventually came loose would seem most likely.
Actually, this was basically new work. He was attempting to add four new dual-jack plates like this to an existing commercial system.

I had to re-terminate the other ends of the new cables, too. He has given me a few other jobs he had found too complicated to do.

kwired

Electron manager
Possibly. My experience is that people who don't know the twist has to be maintained as close to the termination as possible also tend not to know the pairs have to be matched up correctly.

unless they are not electrically/mechanically minded at all, they likely realize each conductor has a proper location to land, I think it is less likely they will know they should maintain twist as much as possible, even some that do a fair amount of electrical work likely don't realize this or why.

you can get away with not maintaining the twist and other things they don't recommend, but it potentially lessens max data speeds. A wrong termination position leaves it not working at all most the time.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I didn't bother to check his work for proper termination positions because I knew I was gong to redo them.

He may not even know how to read the color markings, nor the difference between A and B terminations.

His work certainly proves that he doesn't understand how UTP wiring works; that it's not just phone wiring.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I didn't bother to check his work for proper termination positions because I knew I was gong to redo them.

He may not even know how to read the color markings, nor the difference between A and B terminations.

His work certainly proves that he doesn't understand how UTP wiring works; that it's not just phone wiring.
I had to terminate a bunch of phone lines early on in my days. I still shake my head at the image. Blues.:eek:

tallgirl

Occupation
unless they are not electrically/mechanically minded at all, they likely realize each conductor has a proper location to land, I think it is less likely they will know they should maintain twist as much as possible, even some that do a fair amount of electrical work likely don't realize this or why.

you can get away with not maintaining the twist and other things they don't recommend, but it potentially lessens max data speeds. A wrong termination position leaves it not working at all most the time.
I'm referring to pairs not staying pairs. If you recall, pairs 1 and 2 are a bit odd because pair 1 is in the middle, and pair 2 has the wires on either side. If both ends are terminated "wrong" consistently on both ends it should work, but may have packet loss and issues with noise.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm referring to pairs not staying pairs. If you recall, pairs 1 and 2 are a bit odd because pair 1 is in the middle, and pair 2 has the wires on either side. If both ends are terminated "wrong" consistently on both ends it should work, but may have packet loss and issues with noise.
However, someone who doesn't know what he is doing is unlikely to even get both ends of each run the same.

tallgirl

Occupation
However, someone who doesn't know what he is doing is unlikely to even get both ends of each run the same.
I'm not convinced of that. I knew people who'd just start with some color pair and go from one end to the next, then wire the other end the exact same way. They'd get the outside pairs right, and that would be it. But, there'd be continuity from pins 1 to 8 on each end.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm not convinced of that. I knew people who'd just start with some color pair and go from one end to the next, then wire the other end the exact same way. They'd get the outside pairs right, and that would be it. But, there'd be continuity from pins 1 to 8 on each end.
Doing that probably allows it to work, but you may not be able to get maximum performance out of it. Longer the run the less likely as well. Short little patch cord, may never know anything was wrong.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That's presuming the same component is being installed at both ends.

What about, say, from jacks like above to a patch panel or a plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.