Parkig lot lights cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanKelly

I have 15 150 watt metal halide pulse start lights cycling. They have wattstopper dimming modules on them. The lights are supposed to come on at 100% for 15 minutes and then drop down to 50% until movement activates the motion sensor and ramps them back up to 100%. We have pulse start ballasts and pulse start capacitors. These light are on 2 separate circuits. Have 480 at the fixture. Right now I am bypassing the sensor and the lights haven't cycled off yet running at full power. I'm going to do the bypass the sensor at 50% next. Has anyone dealt with these wattstoppers or had similar issues? any ideas or help is appreciated. Thanks

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I have 15 150 watt metal halide pulse start lights cycling. They have wattstopper dimming modules on them. The lights are supposed to come on at 100% for 15 minutes and then drop down to 50% until movement activates the motion sensor and ramps them back up to 100%. We have pulse start ballasts and pulse start capacitors. These light are on 2 separate circuits. Have 480 at the fixture. Right now I am bypassing the sensor and the lights haven't cycled off yet running at full power. I'm going to do the bypass the sensor at 50% next. Has anyone dealt with these wattstoppers or had similar issues? any ideas or help is appreciated. Thanks
What lamps are you using and in what orientation, e.g. vertical base up, horizontal, or at an angle?

I am asking because I ran across this article by GE:

http://www.gelighting.com/na/busine...library/white_papers/download/HID_dimming.pdf

Note the non-ceramic series lamps rated 250W and lower are only dimming approved down to 60%.

Last edited:

sgunsel

Sensors must be shielded from light sources, including the one being controlled.
Sounds obvious, but I had a problem with a new post light that was cured with a small light shield.

broadgage

How old are the lamps ?
As HID lamps age the lamp voltage tends to increase, eventually reaching the point where it wont remain lit and must be replaced.
Reduced power operation also tends to increase lamp voltage, the design of the dimming ballast allows for this to an extent.
Lamps near end of life might just work at full wattage but not work at reduced power.

Status
Not open for further replies.