paralleled romex

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkey

I was asked to do a follow up on a home inspection. While inspecting the subpanel I noticed two 10/3 romexes which had been paralleled and the twisted ends placed under the terminals of a two pole 60 amp breaker. Apparently a kitchen remodeler replaced the separate cooktop and oven units with a free standing range and figured he would make a 60 amp circuit out of the two 30?s. The homeowner produced a receipt from 2002 which showed the remodelers charge for ?rewiring? the 30 amp cooktop and oven circuits into one 60 amp circuit.
The new buyer would like a fair assessment of the electrical system. For me it is a no-brainer, this circuit must be replaced, regardless of the fact it will be a fairly major expense (no attic or basement). We are on the 99 code and I am citing 310-4, 300-3(b), 240-3(d), and 110-14(a) (for the 2 wires under the screws.). I feel that I should also inform them of the controversy over EMFs. Are there any other code refs or dangers I should point out? Does anyone feel I am over reacting?
Thanks, Brian
P. S. The home inspector never mentioned this in his report.

ron

Re: paralleled romex

Brian,
It's a slam dunk! You have covered each code reference I can think of too.
Why are they more exposed to possible EMF with this situation?
Don't get me wrong, the installation is no good, but EMF for a resistive load might not be an issue.

highkvoltage

Brain. You are right and that's end of the story. Not to mention that the CB probly is not approved for two wire to be terminated on it. Nice catch. At the last code class I took it always bothered me that I could never find where in the code it stated that 2 wires couldn't be landed on one breaker. The instructor explained that it is not stated in the code but what it saids is material have to installed for the purpose it is approved for and most CB's are not approved for more than one wire. Again nice catch and I would have advised the same. :D

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

...I feel that I should also inform them of the controversy over EMFs.

It's not your business to discuss anything relating to EMF's. At this point it is only heresay and would be your opinion at best. Kind of like saying there is life on Mars. Keep your opinions to yourself, advise only on those areas that you have been trained. To do otherwise is unprofessional.

Besides, despite all the violations, if the black conductors of both cables were paralleled as well as the whites there would be no unusual EMF problem.

-Hal

noxx

You know it's sad but things like this rarely get caught on "home inspection". Home inspectors typically write up gigs on broken plates, GFCI, and any hideous exposed wiring.

I can't tell you how many times I've gone on a call to a newly purchased home and had to inform the owner of a terrible installation. They invariably say "well, it passed the inspection before we bough it!".

Frankly a lot of thesee guys who do home inspections are real detriment. They aren't electricians, or electrical inspectors, but they pass on a false sense of security to the buyer by running through the house once with a plug-tester and calling it all good.

The violation you've caught in this case is serious and I'm glad to see you're dealing with it as such. Wish more people would.

k182

There is more to it other than the breaker is not rated for it, article 310.4 states conductors must be 1/0 and larger to be paralleled. hope this helps.

monkey

Well thanks for all the great responses. Now I am more confident in my position. Point well taken on the professionalism Hal, thanks for your reply. I agree about the home inspectors noxx, but that is why they always have a disclaimer in their report that recommends a licensed electrician inspect the system. Few people pay attention to that nor would they care enough to have it done anyway. Thanks again everyone.
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.