parallel current draw

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm at a panel with parallel 350 kcmil conductors and I want to take a current measurement with my clamp around meter but it will not fit around both the conductors. Is it safe to say that if I wrap it around one I could take that reading and double the current?

kwired

Electron manager
So I'm at a panel with parallel 350 kcmil conductors and I want to take a current measurement with my clamp around meter but it will not fit around both the conductors. Is it safe to say that if I wrap it around one I could take that reading and double the current?
Theoretically it should be carrying half the current of the complete set (of a set of 2) but I would clamp each one separately in case they are not balanced for some reason and consider the sum of both to be the actual current.

mwm1752

Theoretically it should be carrying half the current of the complete set (of a set of 2) but I would clamp each one separately in case they are not balanced for some reason and consider the sum of both to be the actual current.

Agree - current takes all available paths & assuming both paths have identical resistance properties the current reading should be equal.

iwire

Staff member

Agree - current takes all available paths & assuming both paths have identical resistance properties the current reading should be equal.

I agree we expect them to be the same but my experience tells me they will not be.

I handle it like kwired suggests.:)

Carultch

Theoretically it will be an exact equal divide, but experimental measurements show that no matter how much you try to make it identical, the real world kicks in and makes it non-identical.

If there is no official purpose to your data and you don't care about accuracy, you can go ahead and make your "software correction". But if it really matters, you should put a CT on both sets, and parallel the output of the CTs per meter manufacturer's requirements.

donaldelectrician

I had an Article a while back that dealt with this , Parallel Feeders , and there was big differences in amp draw on the individual conductors in Parallel Sets of Conductors .

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.