panels in laundry rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff n

Our AHJ is saying that panels or subpanels may not be installed in laundry rooms (room 9' X 11' not a closet - no hanging rods etc.) citing 240.24(D) "not in the vicinity of easily ignitible material, such as clothes closets". this is a residence not commercial. Looking for opinions Thanks.

Re: panels in laundry rooms

Very interesting threads in those links. Thank you. At the risk of drifting into another subject, those threads debated whether 240-24(d) was or was not truly inclusive of all clothes closets. Some folks argued that if you maintain the required clearances, you are not in the vicinity of easily ignitable materials, and should be allowed to locate the panel there.

Well, there was a proposal for exactly that in the 1999 code cycle, and it was turned down:

(Log #662)
10- 89 - (240-24(d), Exception-(New)): Reject
SUBMITTER: Thomas Puleo, Puleo Electric
RECOMMENDATION: Add an exception to Section 240-24(d) to read as follows:
Exception: If working clearance space described in Section 110-16(a) is met, panels shall be allowed in walk-in closets.
SUBSTANTIATION: Jobs would no longer fail due to subpanels being located in walk in closets which meet required clearances. This exception would also remedy choosing difficult subpanel locations to meet Code requirements exclusively in large custom homes.
PANEL ACTION: Reject.
PANEL STATEMENT: A walk-in closet is designed for storage of materials, many of which may be easily ignitable, and installing overcurrent devices in this area would constitute a hazard. There is no way to control how this space would be used since it has been designed for storage, even in a large custom home.
NUMBER OF PANEL MEMBERS ELIGIBLE TO VOTE: 12
VOTE ON PANEL ACTION:
AFFIRMATIVE: 12

Given the interesting history in those other threads, it would appear that in 1999 CMP-10 felt even more strongly about the subject than they did in the 1981 cycle. I'm not saying I like it, but I would use their actions as a guide to interpretation of the clothes closet question.

And back to the laundry room, how come CMP-2 consistently rejects proposals for GFCIs at laundry countertop receptacles?

Douglas Hansen

charlie

Re: panels in laundry rooms

Given the interesting history in those other threads, it would appear that in 1999 CMP-10 felt even more strongly about the subject than they did in the 1981 cycle.
The reason is the makeup of the panel. Over time, the panel changes almost all of the members as they retire, move to a different panel, or their company no longer supports them.

For instance, I have been on Panel 10 since 1993 and may have only one more cycle left before I decide to retire. At that time EEI may pick up my expenses. If they don't, I will not be able to continue. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.