panels in bedrooms & arc-fault protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirk

I thought about posting this in tha Arc-Fault section but I figured that it is more code related. here goes.
Would a panel Installed within a dwelling unit bedroom, (behind a door or something) require all circuits originating from that panel to be arc-fault protected?

On one hand the intent is to have "a listed device that protects the entire branch circuit". All branch circuits that serve this dwelling unit would originate IN a bedroom and therefore should be protected via arc-fault protective devices.
On the other hand the wording is "OUTLETS installed IN dwelling unit bedrooms". If these other branch circuits supply OUTLETS in other rooms, then you would not need to consider arc-fault protection of any branch circuits for other than the bedrooms.

One other thing to consider. If the code defines an outlet as: "a point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment" Then couldn't a circuit breaker installed in a dwelling unit bedroom be considered an outlet?
what happens at the overcurrent device? is it not... "a point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment".

I guess the argument against the circuit breaker being considered an "OUTLET" would be that you would never connect anything directly to the circuit breaker terminal and therefore would always have to have some Branch Circuit Wiring.

I am confused or in other words I would not take the chance of installing a panel within a dwelling unit bedroom.

Thoughts????

jii

Re: panels in bedrooms & arc-fault protection.

Key word is (outlet), circuit breaker is a swithcing device. Artical 100 Definitions

caj1962

I agree with the intent on jii's post but a circuit breaker is only a switch if it is rated SWD. A circuit breaker is An Over Current Protection Device as well as short circuit protection.
To carry this further the panel would be defined as Electrical Equipment or Service Equipment. IMO

charlie

You may install the panel in the bedroom and not install AFCI protection on all the circuits. How would you do that for the range, dryer, electric heat, water heater, etc. circuits?

You only need the AFCI devices on the circuits that feed bedroom outlets (in Indiana, just the bedroom receptacle outlets). :D

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Charlie

"in Indiana, just the bedroom receptacle outlets"

Does that mean that I have to put my front porch outlets on an AFCI, when my wife makes me sleep out there?

Mike P. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.