Panelboards Located in Kitchens

Status
Not open for further replies.

r_bachle

I can not find anything in the NEC that states that a panel can not be installed in a kitchen. My Employer for years has belived that this can not happen.

The job is a fire job for Izzy's pizza in Newberg Oregon and there are 3, 3 phase panels located in the kitchen. The only argument that I can see is that it could passably be argured a damp location because the area is for washing dishes.

The city inspector says that the location of the panels is fine.

Any comments other than AHJ???

Combo Inspectors do not always know what they are looking at.

bphgravity

Re: Panelboards Located in Kitchens

This is a design consideration or possibly a local code. Most commercial kitchens do not have the working space and dedicated space needed for panelboard installations. I personaly would not prefer to install panels in kitchens unless sufficent space is provided and can be maintained for future access.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Originally posted by ryan_618:
Originally posted by r_bachle:
And electricians don't always know what they are doing.

Ryan Jackson, combination inspector.
ROFLMAO

Roger

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by r_bachle: I can not find anything in the NEC that states that a panel can not be installed in a kitchen.
That is because it is not there.
My Employer for years has belived that this can not happen.
Here is ?Charlie?s Rule of Technical Reading?:
It doesn?t say what you think it says, nor what you remember it to have said, nor what you were told that it says, and certainly not what you want it to say, and if by chance you are its author, it doesn?t say what you intended it to say. Then what does it say? It says what it says. So if you want to know what it says, stop trying to remember what it says, and don?t ask anyone else. Go back and read it, and pay attention as though you were reading it for the first time.

electricmanscott

Originally posted by ryan_618:
Originally posted by r_bachle:
And electricians don't always know what they are doing.

Ryan Jackson, combination inspector.
My thoughts exactly Ryan.

[ June 26, 2004, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: electricmanscott ]

charlie

Some of the combination inspectors are very poor because they are not really sharp on anything. However, the experience I have had is the most are really sharp and have an good knowledge of all the trades. Ryan is a good example of my last statement. I met Ryan in Salt Lake City and I would put his knowledge against any of the straight electrical inspectors and, for that matter, the electricians. In fact, Ryan has more knowledge about the various building codes (including electrical) than anyone I have ever met at his age. :D

pierre

Like anything else, there are some who know, and some who do not. I have had many dealings with Ryan and agree with Charlie, that for his age, he seems to care more than most, he has worked hard to get where he is at such a 'young' age.

I still say that for any electrician/contractor - his best protection against a poor inspector is two things:
1. Know the code.
2. Carry the code reference that is referenced in your jurisdiction at all times for disputes.

Everyone learns when this happens.

Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.