Panel selection and question regarding installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horst174659

Occupation
private
Hello,

I am planning to install a PV system and have two questions regarding this:

First: I can choose between 2 electricians which charge the same amount, but use different panel suppliers. One uses "Bauer Solar" (a german manufacturer) and the second uses "SunRise".

Which of these manufacturers are known to be good or better than the other?

Second: It could be an option to install an additional layer of panels horizontally (the other would be mounted vertically) and those would be about 8 Inch / 20 cm over the edge of the roof. The wind in this area is moderate but not too strong and the panels would face south. Is it advisable to do so?

I appreciate any help and thank you in advance.

Best regards!

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Hello,

First: I can choose between 2 electricians which charge the same amount, but use different panel suppliers. One uses "Bauer Solar" (a german manufacturer) and the second uses "SunRise".

Second: It could be an option to install an additional layer of panels horizontally (the other would be mounted vertically) and those would be about 8 Inch / 20 cm over the edge of the roof. The wind in this area is moderate but not too strong and the panels would face south. Is it advisable to do so?

Best regards!
In general it is not a good idea to install modules that extend past the roof edge.

Horst174659

Occupation
private
what you mean: in general? what are the reasons for? Is it only for reasons of stability? can this be fixed by choosing a better mounting system?

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Hello,

Best regards!

Is your roof older than 15 years ... It might be a good time to replace it.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
what you mean: in general? what are the reasons for? Is it only for reasons of stability? can this be fixed by choosing a better mounting system?
In many jurisdictions it would result it a failed inspection. If the roof has gutters, this would defeat them. The racking manufacturer may not stand behind their wind loading certification if the modules overhang the roof. In general it's not a good idea, IMO, and I wouldn't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.