Painting Outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrrusty

I may be incorrect about this but here goes: Isn't it Illegal to paint a switch and/or outlet?
A designer was talking to a customer and told?the customer that he had a guy that would paint the actuall switch/ outlet to match the wall colors; and I disagree; any comments?

iwire

Staff member
Re: Painting Outlets

The closest code rule for that would be

110.12(C) Integrity of Electrical Equipment and Connections. Internal parts of electrical equipment, including busbars, wiring terminals, insulators, and other surfaces, shall not be damaged or contaminated by foreign materials such as paint, plaster, cleaners, abrasives, or corrosive residues. There shall be no damaged parts that may adversely affect safe operation or mechanical strength of the equipment such as parts that are broken; bent; cut; or deteriorated by corrosion, chemical action, or overheating.
In my opinion this does not prohibit the painting of a device as long as the paint is not 'inside' the outlet on the contacts.

There are also people who strongly believe that this does prohibit painting devices.

What really matters is how your inspector feels about this. ;)

bphgravity

Re: Painting Outlets

I did some work in a home in which each room was going to have a mural scene painted or papered to the walls, including the area around switch and receptacle locations. This was being done after the final inspection.

I was at first concerned about papering or painting the devices themselves, but had no problem with the trim plates. After one room was complete, I inspected the receptacles and switches and found them to be as if they were made this way from the factory. It was actually pretty nice.

This is in complete contrast to those jobs you walk on where the painter or homeowner puts about 8 coats on the devices so thick that the attachment plug only inserts about half way and the switches need to be operated by hammer! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.