painted boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

russ

UL says paint has to be removed to meet the grounding listing for reducing washers and locknuts.
While turning a locknut, usually the paint is scraped away in the process.
I wonder how solid the ground is when you hold a locknut in a painted box, and turn the connector to tighten it.
I don't see how that could remove the paint.

[ December 25, 2004, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: russ ]

charlie

Re: painted boxes

Russ, some comments that people make are, "I thought that was common sense" but I have never thought about turning the connector into the locknut. It makes sense to remove the paint under those circumstances. I see a problem with enforcement though, an inspector can't look at all of the locknuts to see how they were installed.

I am thinking the best solution is to get the word out on forums like this. Thanks for the post. :D

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

maybe ul should require the connector to have the little nibs that dig into the paint as well. or do they already have it? seesm to me the last time I saw them they may have. don't see much emt in my area of work.

charlie

Bob, except for the thick cast ones, they do. They will bite into the paint with no problem. The problem that Russ is talking about is where the connector is turned instead of using a screwdriver to drive the locknut on. By turning the connector, the paint stays intact and you lose continuity for grounding (at least it is suspect). It would be the same thing as with a metal NM cable clamp except they are not used for grounding. :D

midget

Whoa...your suposed to be using a screwdriver to put lock nuts on? Usually I just grab a pair of chanel locks and turn the connector til it's good and tight. Why would boxes be painted anyway?

[ December 30, 2004, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: midget ]

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Posted by midget
Why would boxes be painted anyway?
You really haven't run across the ubiqitous gray painted panel & cover?

On an historical note: I wonder if part of the origin of this goes to black painted RMC and black painted wall cases?

midget

Yeah...for some reason I neveer think of panel and box as the same thing, though. I was just thinking metal boxes. :p

charlie

Midget, if you have something that is threaded, you are not supposed to turn the threaded portion but you are supposed to turn the nut. The way I used to do it is to screw the locknut on with my fingers and then use my screwdriver and Klines (electricians hammer) to engage the notches on the locknut and drive it home with the Klines. When I was in the trade, I could drive a sinker as fast with my Klines as most people could with their hammer (I wonder if electricians even use their Klines that way any more?). :D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Now, Charlie, I don't believe 9" pliers are listed for hammer duty. :D :D :D I couldn't help myself.

Are you kidding? I drive staples with my nines. Who wants to carry a hammer around? :D

charlie

George, I would be embarrassed to tell you all the things that I used to do. I know so much more than I did when I was working and I spend my time telling everybody not to do what I used to do. It scares me when I think of some of the things I got by with and I never got hurt badly.

With all that said, I'll bet I can still do some pretty awesome things with my Kliens and a screwdriver. :D

midget

Oh Well, none of the boxes we have are painted, except some panels, but that's good to know you should be turning the nut instead of the connector to scrapre the paint off. But what if you scraped the paint off prior to putting a connector/locknut on? Would that be OK?

midget

That sounds better than twisting the locknut, because I prefer to twist the connector, which you guys have said doesn't work to get to the paint...so I think people should just scrape the paint off, then put the connector on. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.