outside gfci receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwdkmpr

I was told by two fellow electricians that outside GFCI receptacles are required to be on a circuit by themselves. I can find no code reference for this. Please provide me with a code ref if this is true and what is the logic behind it.

Thanks,
Mike

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: outside gfci receptacles

Perhaps you and your fellow electricians are simply not being clear in your communications. There is no rule that says an outside GFCI receptacle must be on a ?separate circuit,? if by that phrase you mean to say ?separate from every other circuit in the facility.? However, there is a rule that says an outside GFCI receptacle must be on a ?separate circuit,? if by that phrase you mean to say ?separate from the bathroom GFCI receptacle circuit.? Is it possible that your fellow electricians are referring to 210.11(C)(3), and that they have misinterpreted that rule, or incorrectly described what the rule requires?

Here is ?Charlie?s Rule of Technical Communications?:
It doesn?t say what you think it says. Rather, it says what it says.

jimwalker

Some very good electricians have worked for companies that tell them to run a circuit for the garage and outside receptacles.They do this for years and pretty soon think its code.I have found myself sometimes thinking something was code and this forum points it out as not a code.Like the gfci in a laundry,i thought it was code.Far too many electricians never look in a code book or even own one.

tgreif

Where does the code prohibit a single circuit for the garage and outside GFCIs?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

The code does not prohibit it. I believe that Jim?s point was that the code does not require it. You can always do more than the code requires. But if you do, it is a personal choice or a design issue, not a code requirement.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

On larger upscale homes it is common to tag a circuit and line side a gfci device.Smaller tract homes we hit the garage and go from there.So either way is OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.