outdoor speaker wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

aecjohn

I have a couple inground pool jobs to wire. The customer wants to add some outdoor speakers. I was planning on running 16/4 cl3 stranded from inside the house out to the pool area via pvc conduit. The run is about 140'. Once outside I was gonna run 12/2 landscape lighting wire(hadco) to each speaker location. The homeowner just bought bose outdoor speakers(4) and has a 200 watt receiver inside. Is the 16 gauge wire adequate? If no what do you reccommend? The homeowner understands I priced the job this way and is willing to pay for a wiring upgrade.

Thanks

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: outdoor speaker wiring

The PVC conduit is an excellent idea from a protection standpoint but keep in mind that it is in the ground and will fill with water whatever you do. Any buried conduit is considered a wet location. A PVC jacketed cable pulled through it will deteriorate over time.

I normally use type TC cable for this. Type TC is listed for direct burial so this is what you want whether you install it in buried PVC or direct buried by itself. Either way keep it at least 18" down so that landscapers are less apt to encounter it. I have even gone so far as to bury a yellow "caution" tape a couple if inches from the surface when backfilling.

As to wire size, no, 16ga is usually not adequate for any kind of low impedance (8 ohm voice coil) systems like this especially for 140+ feet. I normally do constant voltage systems so wire size (like line voltage lighting vs low voltage lighting) is less of a problem but you will need to use at least 12ga all the way in this application.

The 200 watts(or 100 watts per channel) that the amp is capable of supplying really has no bearing here since the speakers, even if they could handle the 100 or 200 watts, will never be turned up that loud. :eek:

What you want to do is to keep the wire resistance in series with the low impedance 8 ohm speakers to an economical minimum so bigger wire is always better. Consider that for 8 ohms worth of wire you lose half your power with one speaker. Since you will be connecting two 8 ohm speakers in parallel only 4 ohms of wire will cost you half your power.

-Hal

[ June 14, 2004, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: hbiss ]

rrrusty

Re: outdoor speaker wiring

I have found that a 12/2 or a 14/2 direct burial speaker wire is very good; It is protected with a gel; when above ground use pvc

Status
Not open for further replies.