Oops!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly

I installed a new 200A residential service for my cousin about 3 years ago. When the POCO came to connect the drop he used a battery powered crimping tool and the battery went dead on the final connection (ground). Since he didn't have another battery, he had to leave the tool dangling in the air (wouldn't retract with a dead battery) and said that he'd be back the next day to finish crimping and to retrieve his tool. Next afternoon the tool was gone, and everything looked OK. Yesterday as siding was being installed on the house, the workman bumped or pulled (I'm not sure, I wasn't there) on the cable and the connection fell apart. The workman turned the power off to the house at the meter main, the POCO was contacted and promptly came and reconnected the wire. The lineman said the proper connector was used, just not fully crimped. When my cousin got home from work he found that his (new) TV set and several clocks would not operate and were apparently damaged by overvoltage. The POCO always does a good job around here, and I was suprised that this got by. It's a good reminder to always pay attention to detail, every time.
steve

Status
Not open for further replies.