Office Furniture Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

ca2000

Our office is comprised of 60 cubicles with the 8-wire 4 circuit arrangement seen in many of the freestanding cubicles. I have a situation where the electrician wired these using only five (5) 20A circuit breakers. He stated that there was nothing in the code that said how many receptacles per 20A CB. I have protested this stating that this should still fall under the requirements of 605.7, 210.11(A), 220.3(B)(9). Four receptacles per cubicle are available: A,B,C,&D. The way I understand that it was wired is Circuit #1 has all 60 receptacles labeled "A", #2 has all 60 "B", #3 has all 60 "C", #4 and #5 have 30 "D" each. I have stated that he needs to have 5 circuits per each A, B, C, & D for a total of 20 circuits. 120V x 20A = 2400 2400/180VA=13.333. So 13 per each 20A. 60 recetacles /13=4.62 therefore 5 circuits. Please help me in gathering all pertinent information to disprove the electricians statements.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Re: Office Furniture Wiring

I think you are right about the limit being 13 of these receptacles for a 20A circuit. With basically 12 cubicles per circuit, I think circuit breakers will be tripping on a regular basis. All it takes is one person plugging in their electric heater on a circuit with 12 computers, and pop. So, you may really want more than the minimum # of circuits allowed by the NEC.

20 circuits would give 3 cubicles per circuit which sounds much more reasonable than 5. I have designed some offices with 2 cubicles per circuit. That would be 30 circuits, and I don't think the cost would be that much greater than 20 circuits.

Didn't anyone have any drawings or specifications for the electrician to follow? The code is basically concerned with safety and isn't a design guide.

Steve

ca2000

Steve.
I guess you may have misunderstood my 5 circuit explanation. Receptacle A (60 total) in each connected cubicle would be connected to 5 circuits. All A's are on the same circuit using the manufactured wiring systems commonly used. So at a maximum 13 cubicles per circuit, five circuits to cover all 60 cubicles for receptacle A only (13,13,13,13,8.) Or to spread that out a bit 12,12,12,12,12. This same would hold true for B, C, & D. Therefore at a minimum 20 circuits to cover all the cubicles.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

You are absolutely correct in using 220.3(B)(9), article 605 gives no exception to the 180va rule.

Roger

ca2000

I need to clarify one statement that I made: "He stated that there was nothing in the code that said how many receptacles per 20A CB." What I meant was the electrician stated that there was nothing in the code to say how many of the cubicle receptacles could be connected to each circuit. Hence his 60 receptacles per CB.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

You have already provided the correct answer.
The NEC does say how many receptacles can be on a circuit in "Other than Dwelling Units" and that is computed using 180va.

If this were in a "Dwelling" then he would be correct, but you said it is in an office.

Is this installation permitted? If it is, the inspector should be able to convince him. :)

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.