Odd junction boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
There are these junction boxes connected to washing machines. Not even sure what's in the center of these junction boxes (it doesn't look like a switch). What are these called and what exactly do they do? Never seen them in my life.

1667325167369.png

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I can tell you why too!

If you can cycle power to a coin operated machine, you reset the timer. So if you want to get your laundry in but there are no open washers, you cycle power to one that is running, it cancels the remaining time, you pull your neighbors wet wash out and put it in a basket, then put yours in and hope they don't come back until after yours is finished.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Not even sure what's in the center of these junction boxes (it doesn't look like a switch). What are these called and what exactly do they do? Never seen them in my life.
Back in the day they were often used in places like schools where you don't want the students turning the lights on or off. The custodians would have the keys. Here's a few I have laying around, looks like the first key (Hubbell) is the one for these switches:
Switch keys 002.jpg

Last edited:

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I can tell you why too!

If you can cycle power to a coin operated machine, you reset the timer. So if you want to get your laundry in but there are no open washers, you cycle power to one that is running, it cancels the remaining time, you pull your neighbors wet wash out and put it in a basket, then put yours in and hope they don't come back until after yours is finished.
LOL no wonder they lock it

retirede

I can tell you why too!

Why wouldn’t you just take their clothes out and dry on their dime?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Why wouldn’t you just take their clothes out and dry on their dime?
Washers, not dryers. Front loading washers lock the door once the cycle starts so that you can’t open it if there is water inside. By cycling power, you can get the door to unlock. The “Richard” in my apartment complex who showed me this trick would only do it on washers that were already in a drain cycle.

I swear, I never did it myself…

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I have that Leviton version for the outside lighting in the 3 gang box by my front door. Outside lighting is controlled automatically and that switch overrides it (on) if you want to check that no bulbs are out, etc. I used a key switch because somebody will turn that switch on and the lights will be on when they are not supposed to be. Now they think it's just a broken toggle switch. :sneaky:

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.