o.k., so I'm a rookie......

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtester

Re: o.k., so I'm a rookie......

I don't think there is a proper procedure for using an ohmmeter. About the best you could do is a go - no go test to verify continuity. I don't think there is a published value for maximum acceptable resistance.
Jim T

There must be a way and references to shed some guiding light.

I'm having similar issues in a post here regarding lack of a #8 bond conductor.
I'll post back here if I find some reference code, values or equipment etc.

Edit: And by the way, your well above the rookie status since you show the responsibility to take the initiative to pose the question and have the desire to search further to prevent an unsafe condition when there's a question. Acknowledge yourself for that.

[ January 28, 2005, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: danl ]

highkvoltage

Use a ground resistsance tester. Preform a fall of potential 3 point test. This should give you a pretty good idea.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

highkvoltage,
Use a ground resistsance tester. Preform a fall of potential 3 point test. This should give you a pretty good idea.
We are talking about bonding, not grounding. The resistance to the earth is not important. The bonding of all conductive or semiconductive materials is what is important here. If you use an ohm meter between all metallic objects, I would expect to see a reading of less than a couple of ohms if the bonding is in place.
Don

izak

doenst the code call for equipment grounding purposes, or, 'effective fault path'

to be less than one ohm or one tenth of an ohm?

relbas

Question from anoter rookie...
I had a service call from a customer when he was standing on the pavers next to his outdoor Jacuzy and touching the water he would feel a gentle "tickeling".I arrived at the site and notice the same.I did check contenuaty of grounding wire from the twist-lock receptical to the ground bar at the panel.Did not find anything wrong.
I checked the amp reading of the pump and didnt find nothing unusual.
What could be the problem?

[ February 04, 2005, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: relbas ]

charlie tuna

checking continuity means very little and the amperage draw means even less. what must be confirmed is the resistance reading of the ground conductor "in ohms" back to the power source. this should be zero and allowing for the resistance of the wire back to the power source.

relbas

I did check the amp to make shure the pump was working with-in the parameters of the name plate raiting.The resistant in OMS was not checked at the time.
Could it be that the pump is leaking (Current)it to the water section of the pump instead to the motor enclosure(grounded metal motor enclosure)this would mean path of the less resistance?

brian john

You can use an earth ground resistance tester and perform a two-point test, this verifies continuity and will give you a reading and if everything is bonded, the reading would be less than .5 ohms maybe .25 ohms discounting lead contribution. You can also utilize a ducter/micro-ohm meter/DLRO, to perform this test.

Typically if this is in a commercial office building it is hard to be un-grounded, due to multiple paths. Building steel, water piping, metal studs, HVAC ducting, ECT. The real question is, is the low resistance path capable of carrying the fault current you going to impose on this path.

Status
Not open for further replies.