not permanently anchored "she shed"

Status
Not open for further replies.

g-and-h_electric

Occupation
supervising electrician
Hey guys, I need some direction on this one. I have a customer with a "she shed" on the driveway next to the house ( less than 4 feet in between). It is NOT on a foundation or anchored to the driveway at all. Since it is "non permanent" can it be fed from a 4-wire GFCI protected twist-lock receptacle (customer has a need for 2 circuits in it)? The cord would be about 3 feet off the ground so as not to create a trip hazard.

Any reason this wouldnt be code? I was told that since it isnt permanently anchored, it cant be hardwired (the customer said the carpenter told them this).

Any ideas ??????

I have some site pictures if anyone wants to see them.

Howard

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Hey guys, I need some direction on this one. I have a customer with a "she shed" on the driveway next to the house ( less than 4 feet in between). It is NOT on a foundation or anchored to the driveway at all. Since it is "non permanent" can it be fed from a 4-wire GFCI protected twist-lock receptacle (customer has a need for 2 circuits in it)? The cord would be about 3 feet off the ground so as not to create a trip hazard.

Any reason this wouldnt be code? I was told that since it isnt permanently anchored, it cant be hardwired (the customer said the carpenter told them this).

Any ideas ??????

I have some site pictures if anyone wants to see them.

Howard
1st mistake!
I don't see a problem with hardwiring it, but if you want to cover your bases, I would just put a disconnect, as was mentioned, and a small panel inside.

g-and-h_electric

Occupation
supervising electrician
Not the greatest of pics.... BUT the shed is currently fed with 2 extension cords off of the service receptacle by the A/C unit. In the shed it IS in EMT, with GFCI's. I am sure, I will have to check the workmanship of those, but the way it is fed now is too "funny".

Sounding like we think Liquitight from another A/C disconnect is the way to go

Howard

Attachments

• 3dbde6.jpg
    3dbde6.jpg
    752.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 548ad3.jpg
    548ad3.jpg
    729.9 KB · Views: 33
  • b2af4d.jpg
    b2af4d.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Not the greatest of pics.... BUT the shed is currently fed with 2 extension cords off of the service receptacle by the A/C unit. In the shed it IS in EMT, with GFCI's. I am sure, I will have to check the workmanship of those, but the way it is fed now is too "funny".

Sounding like we think Liquitight from another A/C disconnect is the way to go

Howard
I wonder if there is a neutral in that A/C disconnect or they just bootlegged off the EGC?
Do they think 2 extension cords is giving them 2 circuits?

g-and-h_electric

Occupation
supervising electrician
Yes, not only is there a neutral in that GFCI, but it is on a separate circuit (which I am going to leave as is). Actually from looking on the site, the GFCI was put in at the time of original construction.

So 4-wire SO cord to the shed, and a twist lock receptacle (with GFCI protection at the panel ) it is !

That was my original thought to treat it as a "portable structure". The "cord and plug". making it easy if the thing had to be removed.

Now I can work on a price to make things right! :)

Howard

Todd0x1

You might want to look at using a 50 amp RV receptacle enclosure and a 14-50P on your cord. There aren't any great inuse covers that work with twistlocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.