Normal/ Emergency Lighting Patient care

Status
Not open for further replies.

mttopmark

It seems that all post that I read about Article 517 deal with emergency outlets.
My question concerns the corridor and general care patient room emergency lighting circuits.
Is there a limit to the length of hospital grade AC that can be run as a fixture whip in the patient rooms? (Circuits are hard piped to each room)
Can Hospital grade AC be run from emergency fixture to emergency fixture in the corridor?
One more if I may.
Since the switch for the emergency drop-in ceiling light is located in the bed head wall, can Hospital Grade AC be run inside the manufacture provided chase that runs from the ceiling down to the headwall?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Normal/ Emergency Lighting Patient care

Lets look at the systems first.

Can Hospital grade AC be run from emergency fixture to emergency fixture in the corridor?
These are required to be on two different systems, the patient room lighting would be fed from the Critical Branch and the corridor lighting would be fed from the Life Safety Branch, see articles 517.32 and 517.33.

As far as the HCFC is concerned,
Since the switch for the emergency drop-in ceiling light is located in the bed head wall, can Hospital Grade AC be run inside the manufacture provided chase that runs from the ceiling down to the headwall?
see 517.30(C)(3) exception #5

Is there a limit to the length of hospital grade AC that can be run as a fixture whip in the patient rooms?
For normal power there is no limit, but for Emergency Systems, the pure wording of 517.30(C)(3) prohibits HCFC anywhere where a non flexible wiring method can be used. Lay in type lighting fixtures do not require a flexible connection.

This is another place that someone dropped the ball IMO.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the CMP could give a good reason as to why this shouldn't be permissible.

Roger

[ April 16, 2004, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

brentp

Roger,

Yeah I'm following you around like the plague, but only because you're knowledgeable. :)

But the "pure wording of the code" is killing me. Can't we look at the handbook every once in a while? :D

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Hello Brent,
Yeah I'm following you around like the plague, but only because you're knowledgeable. :)
man, you are gullible. :)

Can't we look at the handbook every once in a while? :D
yes, but we can't use it to argue a point. ;)

Roger

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Roger:

These are required to be on two different systems, the patient room lighting would be fed from the Critical Branch and the corridor lighting would be fed from the Life Safety Branch
Only an occasional corridor light has to be on the life safety (we usually make it about every third light). Thus, the other corridor lights may well be on the critical branch.

I know you're probably thinking "Those aren't allowed on the critical branch!!" but 517.33 (A)(9) allows almost anything on the critical branch. If the hospital says they need it, the code says they can put it on the critical branch.

Steve

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

[ April 16, 2004, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Steve, in reality, with the exception of required egress lighting, all the facilities lights can be on the Critical Branch, but does this change the answer to the original question?

Only an occasional corridor light has to be on the life safety (we usually make it about every third light).
This is fine, but the fixtures served by the Life Safety Branch must meet the minimums of the required illumination of NFPA 101 and other applicable codes.

Now, as a designer, do you want all this added load thrown on the EEPS unnecessarily?

Roger

[ April 16, 2004, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Roger:

Yea, I agree that doesn't change your answer to the original question.

I can't believe I didn't get blasted for saying 517.33 allows anything on the critical branch (probably because the weather is so nice out). I think I'd like to change that statement to: "517.33 allows a lot to be placed on the critical branch."

You asked,
Now, as a designer, do you want all this added load thrown on the EEPS unnecessarily?
I'm not sure that really bothers me. If everything is coordinated, a fault on a branch only affects that branch. A fault in a feeder only affects that feeder. I really don't see adding another branch or feeder as affecting the reliability of other branches or feeders (as long as the generator is properly sizes).

Steve

mttopmark

Thanks for all the feedback.
In my situation the corridor lights are fed from the Life safety panel and the patient room lights are fed from the critical panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.