non jacketed conductors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drtymex

PLZ CLARIFY!!!!!!!!!!
I'm replacing a SUBMERSIBLE PUMP,60 ft. indepth and recieved a pump with a seal connection to motor of course,but what came out of the pump was 4 individual rhh and rhw-2 rated conductors with no jacketed sleeve.

Called up the manufacture and he specify they always made the motors with that setup,basically with the conductors with no outer sleeve and just "free balling" as per se'.(Which was not true,previous pump was from the same manufacture and had a 80' 12-3 SEAL SUMERSIBLE SJ CORD to the old pump.)

Now regardless if this is code,I frown on this installation,and IJMO. :) :)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: non jacketed conductors?

I've never seen submersible pump cable with a jacket. The UL white book says it can be with or without an overall jacket.
Submersible Water Pump Cable ? Indicates multiconductor cable consisting of two or three flat or two to six twisted insulated conductors with or without an overall jacket. The cable is labeled in size 14 AWG to 500 kcmil copper, and 12 AWG to 500 kcmil aluminum or copper-clad aluminum. The cable is tag marked "For use within the well casing for wiring deep-well water pumps where the cable is not subject to repetitive handling caused by frequent servicing of the pump units." The insulation may also be surface marked "Pump Cable." The cable has not been evaluated for direct burial in the earth.
Don

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I've wired a lot of submersible pumps motors. We used to use GE 6000V solid jacketed submersible pump cable, but now we use the 3 or 4 conductor flat cable, it has a jacket over the conductors, as it is easier to install. The leads from the motor are individual then are spliced to the drop cable. There is a metal cable guard that goes over the pump wires. Moslt likely the pump/mptpr is listed and you don't have to worry about how its wired, just use a listed submersible pump cable and listed splicing means

wayne123

The biggest concern that I have with individual conductors to the pump is that when the pump starts it tends to jerk the wires around and beat them on the sides of the well casing. When I install a sub pump I use standed wire (for flexibilty). Also there are spacers that you can buy to slide over the pipe and they have a hole in them to run the wire in so they won't be subjected to slapping the well casing walls.

hillbilly

Grew up on "well" water. Had it even up to 5 years ago until the "county line" went in, so I've seen a lot of different pump installations (rigs). My father's pump was a above ground "jet" with direct buried lead shield cable to it (circa 1948). My pumps have been 2 wire submersibles (I still have one in the ground). I've seen people use UF, TW, THHN, and regulation well pump cable. I've seen the insulation worn completely off in places and the pump still running. The only wiring malfuntion that would stop the pump is if the cable broke completely in two (this speaks a lot about earth grounds being able to open circuits.
All of the submerged pumps that I've seen came with individual conductor pigtails that were spliced onto with waterproof connectors. It always seemed like I had problems only on cold winter days, never on warm, sunny days. If you've never pulled a 100' in-ground pump in zero degree weather, you haven't "experienced" pump water. But as my mother would say "if the ox is in the ditch, you've got to get him out".
steve

drtymex

Man,the response has been more than stellar,I greatly apperciate all your comments and opinions in reference to this subject matter,learned a few things,but realized how important it is to have individuals such as yourselves to inform others on this forum.
Thx again,
ABEL P.
FLORIDA

hillbilly

drtymex, I'm not recommending that you use anything other than listed cable and connectors for submerged pump installations. I'm just telling you what I HAVE seen. In my experience most of the pumps have been for residential water supply in rural areas. It seems like people will do what ever it takes to get their water back on even if it means violation of electrical codes.
steve

drtymex

Oh no,I got your point as far as the shotty installations you came across,(THHN,only dry and damp locations,lol)And like i said before,appreciate any and all comments,whether be opinions or references.Thx again. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.