No GFCI requirement in a commercial Kitchen on a dedicated single outlet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvsparky357

Hi All,
I was talking to an "inspector" on a job site with regard to the use of a GFCI device on a single (single yoke) outlet on a dedicated 120-volt 20-amp appliance circuit. To my knowledge, there is not a Single outlet that has the GFCI hardware on board, GFCI breakers were used to try and comply with NEC 210.8(b)(2). His statement to me was that because of the fact that the single receptacle was dedicated and would only ever be used for that appliance then GFCI protection was no longer a requirement. I have read everything in my code book as far as 210.8, 210.52 and 406. The only thing i can see that is even remotely close to an exception such as stated above is article 406(D)(4) exception (4) but that is referencing Arc-Fault, not GFCI.
All code references are pulled from NEC 2017.
Anyone have any in sight to this issue.
I have reached out to local engineers and the local AHJ from their comments as well. Hoping for a faster opinion here.
Thanks for your time and happy wiring.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since you're in a commercial kitchen GFCI is required even for a single receptacle on an individual branch circuit.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

jumper

Someone order a simplex/single GFCI receptacle?

61aoXjX3BHL._SX522_.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There appears to be an indicator LED in the upper-left corner, so I'm guessing the light terminals are independent.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
True. But if you use them for something like a cooler and locate the GFCI where is is visible next to it, you have that added safety factor of knowing if power has been interrupted before you would with a breaker.

-Hal

jap

Occupation
Electrician
True. But if you use them for something like a cooler and locate the GFCI where is is visible next to it, you have that added safety factor of knowing if power has been interrupted before you would with a breaker.

-Hal

I don't know about it being an added safety factor to know the power has been interrupted.

To me it would be more like you would notice the thawed products in the cooler first, then, have the added confirmation of the light not being on to tell you the GFI tripped and even further your already heightened frustration.

JAP>

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is one in our bathroom installed in 1978 when house was built. Don't know the brand. Nothing on the strap except "cu/al". Never seen another like it.
gfci.jpg

Klockopotomis

Since you're in a commercial kitchen GFCI is required even for a single receptacle on an individual branch circuit.

Welcome to the Forum. :)
Where is the code reference for this? I have the same issue of a dishwasher continually tripping the GFCI. Eco labs, the mfc, insists the dishwasher cannot work with a GFCI. But dishwasher is within 6’ of a sink...

Status
Not open for further replies.