No existing bond for pool pump motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmikeman

Re: No existing bond for pool pump motor

I have a curious question. What do fellow poster's think is a safer installation, a double insulated pool pump moter that has no bond conductor attached to the frame, or a light switch in the upstairs of a wooden dwelling with carpet on the floors that has no grounding conductor attached to the switch? The code has changed over the years to increase the safety level of the upstairs switch which in reality has very little shock potential, and decrease the safety level of the pool pump motors by allowing double insulated motors to not be required to be connected in any way to the common equalpotential bonding grid. I could be way off base here but I alway's felt that there shoud be a terminal for a bonding conductor which has a direct connection to the metal frame of the motor itself regardless of the plastic overall housing on a double insulated pool pump motor.

darryll

Why can't you drive a 8' electrode into the ground at the pool equipment location & connect the bonding conductor between the two? Why can't a GFCI be incorporated in the pool pump motor circuit?

bphgravity

A ground rod nor gfci protection will do anything to prevent someone from being subject to step or touch potentials.

Flyersfan

You are liable because you know better than the ever present handyman. You're licensed, your obligated. Sounds like backwards logic, but the courts will have a field day with you. She MUST fix the problem. You can't put a dollar amount on a human life. I'm not trying to be dramatic. Convince her to just do it.

electricmanscott

Originally posted by Flyersfan:
You are liable because you know better than the ever present handyman. You're licensed, your obligated. Sounds like backwards logic, but the courts will have a field day with you. She MUST fix the problem. You can't put a dollar amount on a human life. I'm not trying to be dramatic. Convince her to just do it.
:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.