NM cable in a 4 story bldg

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob1kva

I recently started working for a small nursing home in the maintenance dept.My electrical experience far exceeds that of my co-workers but I sometimes get stumped by the NEC.My question is when did the NEC disallow the use of NM cable in any building over stories? The home was built in 1967 with over half the circuits powered by old style Romex.I've also seen alot of newer romex of various gauges in some circuits as well,its as if they used "whatever was in the shop at the time". All of the circuits are 120v or 230v with a few 208v receptacles on each floor for equipment that is no longer used.As well as the 480v chiller and associated equipment.Surprising to me is that there is no 277v lighting at all.Should the old wiring be replaced a section/floor at a time or replace it as it as circuits begin to fail from deterioration.Thanks in advance.

bphgravity

Re: NM cable in a 4 story bldg

The allowance for above three floors was introduced in the 2002 edition.

In regard to replacement of circuits, an evaluation by the AHJ or an agent of the owner should be made to determine any hazards or potential hazards that exist. :)

daveselectric

You have to look at the code under health care facilities and patient care ares for a more definitive answers.

rob1kva

Thanks I had thought there was restriction in an earlier code {93' or 96'} that stated any building over 3 stories must use armor cable and/ or conduit.I'll have to look it up,I still have both of them around somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.