NJ Electrical Code for Data/Telcom Gang Boxes??

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhillyGeek

Hey Guys,
Great Site!!

The question is coming from a computer geek with a pocket protector - I am bidding on a wiring job in New Jersey - moreover Mt. Laurel. I have been told code inspections are rough. The electrical contractor has used braided steel covered cable and metal electrical wall boxes. I know our data/telcom cabling falls under the low voltage section of the new jersey code. I have talked to several people who do electric all with mixed opinions on the situation, some say yeh some say no. We normally use a non metalic plastic gang box which is screwed to the metal studs prior to the drywall being hung. Is this acceptable according to the code in New Jersey??

Will this pass the wall inspection even though its not metal?? Anyone have any experience with the township of Mount Laurel, NJ. and this specific code. Any pointers from the Pro's would be great.

Thanx for your help in advance.. Geek

[ June 03, 2005, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: PhillyGeek ]

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: NJ Electrical Code for Data/Telcom Gang Boxes??

First off I (not to be rude and this is just me personally) don't look kindly on "computer geeks" doing this kind of work. In every instance I have seen it's been a disaster in more ways than one.

On that note, your questions reinforce this opinion. You seem to be completely unfamiliar with the work and more importantly, the code and jurisdictional requirements related to it.

I know you came here for information but that's a bit like asking pilots how to fly a plane. We can tell you but you still won't know.

The first thing I would do is contact the NJ licensing board and ask what the requirements are for doing low voltage work. You may have to be licensed but there may be an exemption you must apply for.

Next I would get a copy of the edition of the NEC that has been adopted by NJ and the local code and familiarize yourself with the sections pertaining to datacom work.

Even after you have done all of this there is still no way to guarantee that your work will measure up workmanship wise. You can only learn that from working with someone who has experience.

I wish you luck.

-Hal

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

New Jersey is still under the 2002 NEC until May 2006 when it will adopt the 2005 NEC.

M

mkoloj

In NJ you are supposed to apply for the Telecommunications Wiring Exemption.
As for the plastic gang boxes I have never seen a gang box that is plastic, all that I have seen are metal.
My question to you is why would any type of code dictate what the material your tool box is made of ? :roll:

[ June 04, 2005, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: mkoloj ]

celtic

Originally posted by mkoloj:
Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors

Application for Telecommunications Wiring Exemption

As for the plastic gang boxes I have never seen a gang box that is plastic, all that I have seen are metal.
034481149293.jpg
034481149286.jpg

034480067949.jpg

hbiss

Occupation
EC

I think mkoloj is being facetious. "Gang box" usually refers to the likes of large tool and storage box that usually stays on the job chained to something like a column.

Boxes would not normally be used for datacom jacks anyway, just another example of not knowing the trade.

-Hal

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I don't know where you are but around here it's not uncommon to put in boxes for datacomm connections.

celtic

...or NOT even use a box:
1368.jpg
PH0794.jpg

(MPLS ~ CADDY? Mounting Plate Brackets (Metallic) Screw-On Support....this is for old work)

or...
1364.jpg
PH0776.jpg

(MP ~ CADDY? Low Voltage Mounting Bracket - New Construction)

Both Caddy products are available in single or two gang configurations.

Some "contractors" will use a mud ring screwed right to a stud.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

What does this do besides take $120.00 out of my pocket?

celtic

Originally posted by infinity:
What does this do besides take $120.00 out of my pocket? [/QUOTE]

It ALLOWS you do to LV work...all electrical work over 10V in NJ requires a license.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

This seems more like Government sponsored extortion. As a New Jersey electrical contractor I'm already licensed, bonded and insured. I pay hundreds of dollars in fee's and corporate taxes, so why do I need this? And more importantly why should I pay for it?

celtic

... why do I need this? And more importantly why should I pay for it?
YOU do not need it - you are already licensed through the State.
The Telecommunications Wiring Exemption is more of a non-license...
Pursuant to N.J.S.A. 45:5A-18, the Board may grant an exemption from the license and business permit requirements
of N.J.S.A. 45:5A:9(a) to a business engaged in telecommunications wiring.
The above is from:
BOARD OF EXAMINERS OF ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS STATUTES AND REGULATIONS ...which you should already have in your possession (green law book)

[EDIT:spelling]

[ June 04, 2005, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: celtic ]

celtic

Thanks for clearing that up.
...which was exactly what I said to a clerk at a Buidling Dept. when I asked that same question :) LOL

Some towns(I haven't been to them all...yet :p ) also require a contractors to register with them for a $50 fee. The exempt contractors may also have to pay this...ECs (and Plumbing Contractors)are licensed through the State, so we get a "pass" here also.

hbiss

Occupation
EC

I don't know where you are but around here it's not uncommon to put in boxes for datacomm connections.

Well, I'm not going to get into whether it is right or wrong to use boxes you should be able to decide that on your own. The worst prewiring jobs I have seen always seemed to have Carlon single gang bang- on plastic boxes and about 6" or less of slack to work with. :(

The compelling reason not to use boxes is because it is much easier (even possible) to maintain the correct minimum bend radius on cables such as cat5 and coax if you have the open bay to contain your slack rather than stuffing it into a box. Bend radius is a major issue when installing communications cables.

The length of your slack should be enough to allow you to comfortably install the jack or connector and leave some length to cut it back for servicing if necessary in the future. I like to see at least 12" or more.

In instances where a box must be used such as with pipe or in a fire rated partition, always use the deepest largest volume box keeping in mind the number and type of cables. You don't want them to be pushed into the box and bent at an angle behind the connectors when you install the plate. Deep 1900's with raised plaster rings work well unless there are a lot of cables. Then you should consider splitting things up with multiple boxes and plates.

-Hal

M

mkoloj

Originally posted by hbiss:
I think mkoloj is being facetious. "Gang box" usually refers to the likes of large tool and storage box that usually stays on the job chained to something like a column.

Boxes would not normally be used for datacom jacks anyway, just another example of not knowing the trade.

-Hal
Thank you Hal for clearing up my comment that was totally meant as a joke.
I agree with the side of the conversation that is against using enclosed boxes, I would much rather work with a open backed class 2 bracket when working with say RG-6, when the cable is made to conform to the restriction of a single gang box it sometimes can put a lot of un-needed pressure on the termination and module in the faceplate. It also greatly restricts the amount of slack that can be left especially when you have 2 UTP's and 2 coax in a one gang box. In my opinion if you have multiple cables it is nice to step it up to a 2 gang box if you are using boxes.

celtic

Another mystery solved...
sultan.gif

Thank you Hal for clearing up my comment that was totally meant as a joke.
Thanks for clearing that up.
(telcom exception)

LOL...
banana.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.