Nipple with NM or 18" pipe with NM

Status
Not open for further replies.

dm9289

Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Occupation
Industrial process repair/ maintenance Electrician
I did some CEUs lately or read an article and i forgot the code reference for the below situation and maybe someone can help me find it?

Several NM cables at Panel entering thru a nipple no connector no good.

Several NM cables entering Panel with 18" of conduit or greater ok if attached within 10' of conduit entry (open conduit side not panel side).

Thank you in advance

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is this what you're looking for?

312.5(C) Cables.
Where cable is used, each cable shall be secured to the cabinet, cutout box, or meter socket enclosure.
Exception No. 1: Cables with entirely nonmetallic sheaths shall be permitted to enter the top of a surface-mounted enclosure through one or more nonflexible raceways not less than 450 mm (18 in.) and not more
than 3.0 m (10 ft) in length, provided all of the following conditions are met:
(1) Each cable is fastened within 300 mm (12 in.), measured along the sheath, of the outer end of the raceway.
(2) The raceway extends directly above the enclosure and does not penetrate a structural ceiling.
(3) A fitting is provided on each end of the raceway to protect the cable(s) from abrasion and the fittings remain accessible after installation.
(4)The raceway is sealed or plugged at the outer end using approved means so as to prevent access to the enclosure through the raceway.
(5)The cable sheath is continuous through the raceway and extends into the enclosure beyond the fitting not less than 6 mm (1∕ 4 in.).
(6)The raceway is fastened at its outer end and at other points in accordance with the applicable article.
(7)Where installed as conduit or tubing, the cable fill does not exceed the amount that would be permitted for complete conduit or tubing systems by Table 1 of Chapter 9 of this Code and all applicable notes
thereto. Note 2 to the tables in Chapter 9 does not apply to this condition.
Informational Note: See Table 1 in Chapter 9, including Note 9, for allowable cable fill in circular raceways. See 310.15(C)(1) for required ampacity reductions for multiple cables installed in a common raceway

dm9289

Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Occupation
Industrial process repair/ maintenance Electrician
Is this what you're looking for?
Thank you so much i thought I knew this to be true but couldn't find it. I was looking in Panelboards, wiring methods and services.
This was driving me crazy

Dave

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thank you so much i thought I knew this to be true but couldn't find it. I was looking in Panelboards, wiring methods and services.
This was driving me crazy
You're welcome. It took me a minute or two also because it's in a somewhat obscure place.

Status
Not open for further replies.