Night lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone think that unproper grounding could be a reason for phot-sensors going out in barn-yard style night lights?....also bought a few of those flour barnyard lts with the photo eye built in the front and containing the "chip-board" ballast and they don't seem to last....

Ok....I tried......As I've said,been looking for a forum to interact with electrical patrons but EVERYTIME,all I get is arrogant people with a smart attitude who act like they know everything....

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Ok....I tried......As I've said,been looking for a forum to interact with electrical patrons but EVERYTIME,all I get is arrogant people with a smart attitude who act like they know everything....

It doesn't sound to me like he thought he knew everything or he wouldn't have asked you what a barnyard light is! There are people on here from all parts of the Country and terminology is different in many places. I don't know what a barnyard light is either. There is a lot of terminology I'm not familiar with so I either ask or watch and see if anyone else asks. I don't know of a better forum for people not making people feel stupid for asking a question. I think if you give this forum a chance you will find that to be true. Some other forums I've seen, not so much.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Does anyone think that unproper grounding could be a reason for phot-sensors going out in barn-yard style night lights?....also bought a few of those flour barnyard lts with the photo eye built in the front and containing the "chip-board" ballast and they don't seem to last....

Sorry for me asking. What is a barnyard light?

What gives? Did you take a pass on cornflakes for breakfast this morning and eat a big bowl of stupid instead?

For crying out loud the man asked a question! Hardly evidence of being a know it all. The first word in the reply is "sorry" and that denotes arrogance to you? Ironically your handle ends in the word "please".

kwired

Electron manager
FWIW I have done lots of work in barns and have seen about every kind of light imaginable installed there whether they are code compliant or not.

My guess is the light OP is talking about is typical area light intended to be pole mounted although I see a lot of them mounted on buildings also. They usually have a twist lock receptacle on top that a photo cell plugs into.

First thing is where did you purchase the light? There are a lot of very cheap ones out there and you get what you pay for.

Second - the photo cell socket is usually adjustable so you can select which direction to point the sensing window on the cell. You want to avoid pointing the cell directly into the afternoon sun if you can this will lengthen the life of the cell.

Grounding is not an issue with the cell as it has no ground connected to it. Proper voltage is important however with most of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.