NIGHT LIGHT/EMERGENCY FIXTURES

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepy

NIGHT LIGHTS/EMERGENCY FIXTURES
CAN THEY BE ON A SEPARATE CIRCUIT EVEN THOUGH THE CIRCUIT WILL ONLY BE THE SECOND CIRCUIT IN THE AREA, OR DOES THE EMERGENCY PART OF THE FIXTURE NEED TO BE WIRED SEPARATELY - A SECOND WIRE/CIRCUIT.

nvcape

Re: NIGHT LIGHT/EMERGENCY FIXTURES

If you are using twin heads or emergency packs in the fixtures, article 700-12E wants them on the same circuit as the regular lights. If you have 3 or more circuits to a separate area, code allows a separate branch circuit for "unit equipment." If you have a generator and emergency circuits, then the wiring is separate (700.9B).

tshea

Not entirely sure what you are asking...but a night light and emergency light are two different luminaires, each requiring its own circuit. The emergency lighting has it's own seperate power source-generator or battery-which causes the luminaire to operate when normal-poco- power is lost. Night lights are often switchable.

earlydean

The night lights, I assume, are the egress lighting required to remain on at all times the building is occupied. The emergency lights are the lights that come on if the power fails, to light the way out of the building. If there is no emergency generator, we have to use battery power to energize the egress lighting and exit signs. 700.12(E) covers "Unit Equipment", which is those battery packs with 2 headlights we use for emergency power. Their charging current is required to be connected to the circuit supplying lights in the area (ahead of the switches), unless there are 3 or more lighting circuits in the area.
Night lights used as egress lighting are covered by 700.16. Batteries, separate circuits or even separate panels are allowed to serve emergency night lights. If you use battery packs on your night lights, they become unit equipment, and are subject to 700.12(E).

Earl

iwire

Staff member

We do this all the time in office buildings around here.

The fixtures that have been selected to be the emergency fixtures (supplied by the generator) are also the night lights.

Sometimes we even split feed the ballasts, 2 lamps on normal power, one lamp on emergency power. This is allowed by 700.9(B)(2)

Before I ramble on, :roll: are you asking about a building with an emergency generator or are you asking about fixtures with battery back up in them?

sleepy

this is sleepy to add more to my question. these night lite fixtures and emergency/battery not generator. these fixtures are being installed in a small store. two/thirds of the fixtures are in areas that have 3 or more circuits. we have a couple of rooms where we put these nite/emergency fixtures. so now we have two circuits in these areas. i know to test these the inspector will shut off a breaker in the panel. there will always be lite. also, all the nite/emerg fixture are circuited together. good or no-good.

ccha9219

we often use a "night light" ckt here( Daytona beach) to simplify just that problem. The only thing our local inspector asks is you put a breaker lock on the ckt

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by sleepy:
we have a couple of rooms where we put these nite/emergency fixtures. so now we have two circuits in these areas. i know to test these the inspector will shut off a breaker in the panel. there will always be lite. also, all the nite/emerg fixture are circuited together. good or no-good.
Sounds like a no go to me.

Here is part of 700.12(E)
The branch circuit feeding the unit equipment shall be the same branch circuit as that serving the normal lighting in the area and connected ahead of any local switches.
And the exception to this.

Exception: In a separate and uninterrupted area supplied by a minimum of three normal lighting circuits, a separate branch circuit for unit equipment shall be permitted if it originates from the same panelboard as that of the normal lighting circuits and is provided with a lock-on feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.