NFPA 70E

Status
Not open for further replies.

greg burrell

I am interested if the new standards for FR clothing introduced in the NFPA 70E are inplace for the electricians which follow the NEC. I believe if OSHA adopts the 70E then it will cover everyone who works on electrical equipment. Is this thinking correct or is the NFPA completely seperate from the NEC? GB

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: NFPA 70E

OSHA doesen't have to adopt NFPA 70E. It already uses NFPA 70E for all its electrical safety requirements. Take a look at the introduction to 70E.

Some states don't follow OSHA if they have an equal or better safety program.

droach

If and when OSHA adopts 70E which has been mentioned during some of the training session I have attented on 70E. This will make 70E law which it turn would result in requirement for FR clothing for all electrical workers who work around Arc Flash Hazards.

You probably don't want to wait for an OSHA to offically adopt NFPA 70E, in fact that may never happen. However, both the 1910 (General Industry) and 1926 (construction) standards contain reference to PPE for electrical workers. OSHA is citing violations in both accident investigations and in routine inspections. I was just reading OSHA OSHRC Docket No. 00-0763 regarding Ford Motor Company in Buffalo N.Y. OSHA cited the 1910 standard and fined Ford $5K under 1910.335(a)(1)(i) and $5K under 1910.335(a)(1)(v). Both citations were listed as serious violations.
Many OSHA inspectors are using NFPA as a reference for the type of PPE required and its specific use.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

OSHA has already adopted NFPA 70E, and it has been the default electrical safety standard for OSHA since 70E was first published in 1979. The foreward to 70E has the history and why it was developed...a standard developed by industry experts, that does not have to go thru the 6b procedures (public hearing) to become law.
The last part of the forward states "Part I of NFPA 70E is therefore intended to serve a specific need of OSHA...NPFA 70E, on the other hand, is intended for use by employers, employess and OSHA.
Jake if you have a copy of 70 E you can review the forward to 70E

[ September 20, 2003, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: tom baker ]

Status
Not open for further replies.